The American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon (ACLU of Oregon) is an advocacy organization dedicated to defending and advancing civil liberties and civil rights through work in the courts, in the legislature, and in communities. We fight for free speech, racial justice, criminal justice reform, religious liberty, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, immigrants' rights, and more. We are organized as a nonpartisan, nonprofit, membership organization with more than 50,000 members and supporters in Oregon. The ACLU of Oregon is an affiliate of the ACLU, our nation’s guardian of liberty for nearly 100 years.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability and veteran status. We also encourage qualified people with justice system involvement to apply.
The Communications Associate provides critical support to the ACLU of Oregon through content creation for print and web pieces, social media, email, and through participating in the development of messaging strategies. The Communications Associate also plays a key role in analyzing and reporting on the communications work of the organization.
The Communications Associate works cooperatively with ACLU colleagues and external partners across a range of communications platforms to effectively articulate the ACLU’s values, humanize critical civil liberties issues, and inspire change-makers in our state. The Communication Associate reports directly to the Communications and Outreach Director.
The ACLU of Oregon is a fast-paced and ever-evolving environment and requires the ability to multitask effectively and complete tasks individually as well as in a team. We believe in the importance of communications work as a central and essential element in the success of our mission and place great emphasis on the role of communications in framing the debate on our issues, building support, and increasing the impact of our work.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft, edit, publish, and manage cross-platform content for ACLU of Oregon’s channels including websites, email, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Vimeo.
- Draft, edit, and design a range of print and interactive projects including posters, flyers, advertisements, email blasts, reports, web graphics, landing pages, and fact sheets.
- Create eye-catching, shareable images, graphics, and videos that advance the ACLU of Oregon’s mission.
- Edit and package photos for use across platforms.
- Monitor, moderate, and engage with our audience to build broad support for our issues.
- Develop and implement social media plans and tactics. Develop and maintain relationships with key social media influencers and users.
- Monitor social media performance usage reports. Analyze site performance metrics and make recommendations on content, site design, or features to improve effectiveness.
- Monitor social media trends, tools, and applications and recommend new strategies as needed.
- Assist with creating and coordinating communications plan, including maintaining editorial calendar.
- Assist with fielding media calls, securing printing, proofreading, and other communications tasks.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
- A minimum of three years of relevant professional experience, preferably with an advocacy-oriented, non-profit organization.
- Solid understanding of internet tools, processes, and techniques for membership development, advocacy campaigns, list building, and social networking;
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- A keen eye for design, page layout, and general presentation;
- Effective and proven team process and project management experience;
- Detail oriented with strong follow through, demonstrated ability to solve problems, ability to meet tight deadlines, and manage resources effectively;
- Proven skills in content creation across media using images and video.
- Strong knowledge of social media best practices.
- Experience managing multiple social media channels and a desire to keep up-to-date on the latest trends and new products.
- Understanding of web and social media analytics and reporting and ability to translate to program staff.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Experience working with media in print, TV, and radio a plus.
- Experience with Adobe’s Creative Suite (primarily InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat) a plus.
- Excellent critical thinking and judgment.
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and the mission of the American Civil Liberties Union;
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values individuals and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance, and the ability to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community.
The salary range is from $48,000 to $56,000. Generous benefits include paid vacation and personal days, medical and dental insurance, 401(k) with matching contribution, and life and long-term disability insurance.
If you would like to join the fight for freedom at the ACLU of Oregon, please email your resume, relevant work samples, and a cover letter describing your interest in the position and your experience to email@example.com with the subject line: Communications Associate.
No phone calls or mail please.
Materials received by November 27 will receive preference. Resumes will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and will be accepted until the position is filled.