HOURS: 20-36 hours/week Monday-Friday, Occasional Nights/Weekends
BENEFITS: Paid Holidays/Sick Leave/Vacation and IRA Match
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
Venture Portland’s Business District Organizer must be passionate about Portland and its unique neighborhood business districts. The ideal candidate is a people-person; a natural networker; a customer service pro; data geek; successful multi-tasker and innovative team-player focused on getting the job done. The Organizer must be culturally sensitive, highly motivated, responsible and solutions-oriented with organizing experience. The position requires strong communication and organizational skills, excellent attention to detail, computer fluency, flexibility, creativity, a great sense of humor and commitment to Venture Portland’s mission and values. The Business District Organizer will spend at least 30% of work hours ‘on the street’ working with business owners in up to three (3) different business districts including:
- 82nd Avenue of Roses
- Lloyd District
- Nob Hill
Since 1986, Venture Portland has supported Portland’s 50 unique and thriving neighborhood business districts, which together contain 19,200 businesses (98% of which have five or fewer employees) and provide 270,000 jobs. Through grants, training and promotion, Venture Portland invests in the smart, strategic growth of these critical commercial corridors.
The Organizer works with the ED and Venture Portland team to build the capacity of Portland’s volunteer-run neighborhood business districts and strengthen the district’s economy.
- Build Business District Association Capacity – strengthen Business District Associations by increasing membership and member engagement.
- Grow Business Association Membership 10-20% – implement annual membership campaign; launch new membership benefits.
- Facilitate District Leader Participation – design relevant and individualized resources for business district leaders; increase district utilization of Venture Portland benefits.
- Provide Technical Assistance – provide individualized support to district businesses; help design innovative business district resources and assistance.
- Support All-Volunteer Neighborhood Business District Board of Directors – track volunteer hours; recognize volunteer contributions; recruit new volunteers.
- Implement 2 District-specific Events – support signature annual event and additional seasonal event; implement revenue generating components; track and analyze event results.
- Represent Neighborhood Business District – build relationships with neighborhood businesses and community groups; advocate for business association support; promote business district membership, events, activities and successes.
- Manage Data – ensure effective data tracking to analyze impact of outreach, events and volunteer recruitment efforts (qualitative and quantitative); utilize data analysis to create materials and future programs; increase program utilization by diverse constituents.
- Explore Business District – spend at least 30% of work time ‘on the street’ to understand unique needs of neighborhood businesses and design appropriate resources and events.
- Attend Business District Board, Committee and Membership Meetings – present progress on outreach, membership, events and activities; support volunteer Board’s efforts.
- Assist Executive Director with all other duties as requested.
- Passion for Portland’s neighborhood businesses and business districts and commitment to Venture Portland’s mission and values
- Proven ability to set priorities and work efficiently and effectively in a sometimes chaotic and deadline-driven environment
- Consummate professional with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to problem-solve with spirit of innovation; strong interest in coming to work and creating your job on a daily basis
- Proven experience as a community organizer; demonstrated ability to inspire others to action
- Excellent communication skills including public speaking, material production/writing, editing and proofreading; comfort working one-on-one and in small groups; second language proficiency a plus
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills including ability to work independently, as a team player and with diverse constituents; proven customer service expertise
- Proven computer skills including in-depth knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Office; experience working with relational databases, WordPress, Emma, PowerPoint and design software a plus
- Commitment to serving, supporting and growing membership
- Flexible schedule to work occasional early mornings, nights and weekends
- At least 2 years organizing and/or volunteer management experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Venture Portland is an Equal Opportunity Employer. East Portland residents, people of color, veterans and people with foreign language competency are encouraged to apply.
Submit a compelling cover letter outlining your passion for, and fit with, the position. Please also provide a complete chronological resume and the names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Business District Organizer” in the subject line no later than Wednesday, 12/13/17 at 5:00pm.