Portland YouthBuilders is a small alternative high school and career development program dedicated to serving low-income young people in their late teens and early twenties who want to transform their lives. PYB’s focus is on helping students to complete high school and prepare for post-secondary education, obtain vocational skills, become critical thinkers and community leaders, develop viable career pathways, and succeed in placements in post-secondary education and/or employment in preparation for launching careers.
PYB is deeply committed to continuously working to make our organization a more equitable and just place for both students and staff. As it is written in our equity statement: At PYB, we believe that communities are strengthened when diversity is honored. We believe we have a responsibility to interrupt and confront inequity. At PYB, we commit to continuously reflect and challenge the ways in which we, as a community, and as individuals, perpetuate inequity. It is not only vital to our students’ success but essential to our purpose.
The Development Program Assistant will help build the capacity of PYB's Development Department to increase financial and in-kind donations from our growing network of individual, foundation, and corporate supporters.
The Development Program Assistant position is a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer position in the PYB Development Department. We are seeking a candidate that is inspired by our mission of helping young people transform their lives through learning and service. This VISTA position is a great professional learning opportunity for applicants who are looking to build skills and experience in data management, event management, donor relations, communications, and grant writing, among other non-profit skill sets.
VISTA is a national service program administered by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), and VISTA members must attend a Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) on the official start date with Portland YouthBuilders. The next trainings that align with Portland YouthBuilders schedule will be held on August 1st and August 15th.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Reports To: Development Director
Schedule: Twelve-month term, full-time (40 hours per week)
Position Starts: August 1st or 15th, 2022, but a candidate must be selected a month in advance to meet CNCS’s recruitment deadlines.
Compensation: AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance ($17,589 before taxes/year in Portland, OR, based on the local poverty level), a monthly bus pass, and health benefits during their service. VISTA members also have the option of receiving a $6,495 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award (or $1,800 cash stipend) after completing their term of service. There are a variety of other benefits such as eligibility-based childcare assistance, relocation allowance, and federal non-competitive status.
SUMMARY OF BROAD AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Implement and report on donor database overhaul project
- Assist with fundraising events
- Track and report on donor data
- Assist and support Development Department in research of funding opportunities, preparation of meeting materials and grant proposals, and periodic grant reporting
- Drafting and producing communication materials for distribution to supporters and funders
- Assist with planning and coordinating small-scale community events and funder visits to PYB
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Highly organized
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in an office environment including the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software (Salesforce preferred)
- Experience or interest in print and digital design
- GED or High School Diploma; Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Valid Driver's License and a good driving record (for the purposes of insurance coverage)
- Reliable transportation required; access to a car preferred
- Some evening and weekend work may be required
- AmeriCorps VISTA eligible
- Ability to pass pre-employment criminal background check and drug testing
- Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident
To apply: email resume and cover letter to Mary Hou, Contracts Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Application for Development VISTA” in the subject line.
Closing Date: Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
For more information, visit our website at www.pybpdx.org.
Portland YouthBuilders’ mission connects us to people and communities across Portland. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law. Portland YouthBuilders is committed to the diversity of our people, programs and services. The organization acts affirmatively in the employment and advancement of qualified people of color. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY1-800-735-2900.
PYB employees and full-time volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background and drug test check prior to employment. Portland YouthBuilders is a Drug Free Workplace and adheres to the requirements of the Drug Free Workplace Act. Portland YouthBuilders’ students and staff are subject to random drug tests.
- This program is funded 25% through a Federal award of $1.5 million from the U.S. Department of Labor – ETA for the YouthBuild Program Initiative.
- This program financed in part with funds provided through Worksystems, Inc. from the U.S. Department of Labor, the City of Portland, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- PYB is an AmeriCorps program and students who are AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award.