About the Position:
Job Appointment: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Mon-Fri. 8-5P, alternate schedule may be available after probation (depending on assignment).
Work Location: Hybrid/work location: multiple work locations depending on assignment.
Benefit: Please check our benefits tab for an overview of benefits for this position
Union Representation: This classification is represented by Professional Technical Employees, Local 17 (PROTEC17). For terms and conditions of this labor agreement GO HERE.
Application Material: Please click APPLY to submit your application via the City of Portland’s online portal. You will need respond to the supplemental questions and attach a resume. Update application materials if needed.
The Engineering Technicians II for the City of Portland perform specialized support on technical assignments of moderate to advanced difficulty applying scientific and technical knowledge and using independent judgment in the areas of engineering, construction and/or permit processing. They are utilized in multiple bureaus and specific tasks may vary depending on the position.
What you'll get to do:
- Assist engineers and project leads in a variety of projects to improve and maintain the City of Portland's infrastructure
- Provide technical support on plan review, research, technical writing, map reading, and data query and management?
- Conduct field inspections and investigations?
- Use sophisticated computer software, database, GIS/mapping tools, and drafting tools to provide project/program support?
About the current vacancies:
- Provide explanations on policies and procedures to the public to achieve understanding, cooperation, and compliance with codes
- Produce a variety of technical materials, correspondence, documents, plans, drawings, specifications, cost estimates, and project schedules and ensure quality control and compliance with applicable regulations, standards, and policies of a variety of projects and processes
Sidewalk and Structures (PBOT): This group provides support to the following Maintenance and Operation Group . This position surveys, designs, drafts, and responds to/triages construction crew questions regarding ADA curb ramp construction. Work requires meeting with residents, businesses, and other stakeholders while designing the ADA curb ramps. Additional tasks include coordination with street lighting and signals, street paving, and the Bureau of Environmental Services when designing ADA curb ramps. The position trains construction crew work on ADA compliance criteria.? ?This position coordinates with GIS technicians to pull data from the existing maps and update the information associated with the design flow of work on the GIS maps.
Bureau of Environmental Services (BES): The Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) BES manages Portland's wastewater and storm-water infrastructure to protect public health and the environment. We are a mission-driven, high-performance organization, and a leader in preserving and restoring watershed health. We provide sewage and storm-water collection and treatment services to accommodate Portland's current and future needs. We protect the quality of surface and ground waters and conduct activities that plan and promote healthy ecosystems in our watersheds. BES technicians play a supportive role in plan review and analysis, stormwater facility and sewer system design, construction management, permit review and issuance, public works permitting and development review, construction project management and/or system planning and modeling. BES staffs Engineering Technician II positions in the following work groups: Engineering Services, Delivery Programs, Integrated Planning, Project Management Office, Operations & Maintenance, and Technical Services. Questions?
Portland Water Bureau: Portland Water Bureau (PWB) provides Portland residents with potable drinking water. Work includes planning, designing and construction management of capital improvement program projects, project management, water quality, asset management and other functions in support of providing Portland and surrounding wholesale customers with the highest quality drinking water.
Karen Ehn, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
firstname.lastname@example.org The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
Applicants must also possess:
- Experience with engineering and/or architectural terminology basic principles.
- Knowledge of design, construction, and project/task management such as: specialized data gathering and research techniques, records research, cost estimating techniques, project tracking, process improvement, and documentation.
- Experience reading and interpreting various kinds of maps, permit records, architectural and engineering drawings, construction plans, and other technical materials.
- Experience in clearly presenting technical information in various forms including oral, written, and graphic.
- Knowledge of data management tools.
- Ability and/or experience coordinating small scale projects and/or providing customer service to internal and external stakeholders with knowledgeable, technical guidance and advice.
STEP 1: Apply online between September 18, 2023 and October 9, 2023
- A valid drivers license and an acceptable driving record at time of hire.
Required Application Materials:
Optional Application Materials:
- Answer to the Supplemental Questions (click on the Questions tab to preview the questions)
- If you would like to request Veteran's Preference, please submit your Veteran documents (ex, DD214-Member 4, VA Benefit Letter, etc) by the closing date of the recruitment.
Step 2: Minimum Qualification Evaluation: October 10, 2023-October October 17, 2023
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained, which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis: Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- Do not attach any additional documents.
- Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment.
- All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process.
- E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Step 3: Establishment of Eligible List: by October 20, 2023
- An evaluation of each applicant's training and paid and unpaid experience, as demonstrated in their resume and supplemental questions, weighted 100%.
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- You have 14 days from the notice of the minimum qualification evaluation results to let us know if you would like to review and discuss your evaluation result. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information.
- Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
Step 4: Selection (Interview): late October
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list.
Step 5: Offer of Employment: November
- Hiring bureau will review and select candidates for an interview
- Please note, the selection process may take up to 90 days from the notification of being placed on the eligible list.
Step 6: Start Date: late November-Early December
- Some positions will require those offered employment to complete and sign a criminal background statement before being considered for employment. (Include if requires an in-depth background investigation.)
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
- A start date will be determined after all conditions of employment have been met.
Click here for additional information regarding the following:
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes once per month. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement.
- Click here for additional information regarding the following:
- City of Portland Core Values
- Recruitment Process - Work Status
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Veteran Preference
- ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer