Atlas Assistance Dogs is seeking a Volunteer Coordinator to help sculpt Atlas’ volunteer organization. This is an excellent opportunity to really shape and impact the direction of Atlas Volunteers through recruitment/retention and management.
About Us Atlas Assistance Dogs expands access to those who want and legally qualify for an assistance (service) dog. We accomplish this employing ethical, modern, innovative, and proven approaches that challenge traditional assumptions about who can train dogs, how dogs should be trained, and what dogs and people can accomplish together.
There are many more who would benefit from service dogs than most organizations can supply. Atlas Assistance Dogs was created to fill these unmet needs.
We are committed to expanding the pool of qualified assistance dogs by working with dogs of all breeds and enabling people to obtain training and certification for their own dogs. We accommodate one-on-one, customized in-home training with certified, professional trainers. This enables more control over the very personal process of learning to work as a dog/handler team.
Atlas Assistance Dogs’ certification standards meet and exceed international requirements. We are building a network of certified trainers and establishing a program to enable qualified individuals to train and certify assistance dogs and handlers according to our standards. Our goal is to make it possible to train and certify assistance dog/handler teams in as many locations as possible both in the US and Internationally. We are expanding the possibilities for assistance dog training. We take advantage of the combined power of virtual learning and communication, online and in person communities, traditional in-person sessions, and individual as well as group aspects, to provide the best training solution for trainers as well as dog/handler teams.
Volunteer Coordinator Responsibilities
- Outreach and recruitment of needed volunteers
- Collecting volunteer information, availability, and skills, and maintaining an up-to-date database.
- Keeping new and existing volunteers informed about the organization and volunteer opportunities.
- Matching volunteers to opportunities that suit their skill sets
- Actively work with committee members, to understand needed support
- Excitement about our mission and a desire to help others
- Experience managing and working with volunteers
- Good communication skills
- Excellent organization and team building skills
- Experience in one or more of the following is preferred:
- Working or volunteering at a non-profit
- Developing and executing volunteer management strategies