Portland YouthBuilders (PYB) provides job training programs, wrap-around support, and alternative high school education with the mission to support low-income young adults, ages 17-26, who are committed to changing their lives to become self-sufficient, contributing members of the workforce and their community. At PYB, students develop marketable employment skills in construction and technology to launch successful careers.
PYB is deeply committed to continuously working to make our organization a more equitable and just place for both students and staff. As it is written in our equity statement: At PYB, we believe that communities are strengthened when diversity is honored. We believe we have a responsibility to interrupt and confront inequity. At PYB, we commit to continuously reflect and challenge the ways in which we, as a community, and as individuals, perpetuate inequity. It is not only vital to our students’ success but essential to our purpose.
The Construction Bridge Outreach & Recruitment Coordinator will conduct community outreach and recruitment strategies in Washington and Multnomah Counties to enroll young people in the Construction Bridge pre-apprenticeship training program. The Coordinator will support young people through the application process to ensure the program is at full enrollment and eligible young people in the community are aware of this career training opportunity.
PYB seeks an Outreach & Recruitment Coordinator who is passionate about changing the lives of low-income young people who have traditionally been excluded from working in the construction trades. PYB seek a candidate who is creative, enthusiastic, a strong communicator, enjoys being out in the community and is experienced working with a diverse clientele. The ability to inspire young people to pursue a career in the trades is essential.
*Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Reports To: Program Director
Schedule: 40 hours per week (1.0 FTE)
Start Date: Upon successful recruitment of applicant
Compensation: Starting salary range of $50,000 - $58,000/year
Employment Status: Full-time, Regular, Exempt
Benefits: Benefits: 7 weeks paid vacation during school closures--4 weeks in summer; 2 weeks in winter; 1 week Spring Break. Paid Summer break is prorated for the first year based on months of service (e.g.- an April 1 start date would receive 5.5 days summer vacation, but a September 1 start date would receive 18.25 days in the first year). Most state recognized holidays are paid and employees accrue 1 personal day/month. PYB contributes $650/month to Section 125 cafeteria plan for health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, and/or retirement savings; and provides a dollar-for-dollar employer match for retirement contributions up to 3% of salary with immediate vesting. PYB provides employee-paid life and long-term disability insurance. PYB offers a dynamic environment with great team of students and staff.
SUMMARY OF BROAD AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Design and execute a comprehensive community outreach and recruitment strategy to attract an adequate pool of eligible program applicants including:
*generate innovative marketing strategies to increase awareness of program
*increase and maintain visibility of our program within communities we serve
*create, maintain and expand partnerships with referral organizations
- Support young people through the application process including but not limited to:
*lead informational sessions
*assess applicants’ eligibility and fit for the program
*collect and file applicant documents within a provided timeline
*communicate with applicants and their supports regarding admission needs and deadlines
*communicate with referral partners
*provide applicants with individualized assistance as needed
*coordinate with other PYB departments to provide support
*maintain/create/optimize systems for data collection
*support applicants during pre-program orientation process
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated experience, competency, and commitment to community outreach and recruitment
- Demonstrated experience, competency, and commitment to designing and implementing creative/innovative marketing strategies
- Demonstrated experience in networking and/or developing community partnerships
- Demonstrated experience, competency, and commitment to serving a diverse population
- Ability to inspire and motivate young people
- Excellent organizational skills, multi-tasking abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to improvise and work through uncertainties
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Capacity to collaborate with colleagues across departments
- Valid Oregon Driver’s License and strong driving record (position may include local travel for outreach activities)
- Bilingual preferred
- Ability to pass a criminal background check and drug test
To apply: email resume and cover letter to Rana Uzzaman, Program Director firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they arrive until the position is filled. Please send your cover letter and resume as attachments (Word or PDF). No phone calls or visits please. For more information, visit our website at www.pybpdx.org.
Portland YouthBuilders’ mission connects us to people and communities across Portland. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law. Portland YouthBuilders is committed to the diversity of our people, programs and services. The organization acts affirmatively in the employment and advancement of qualified people of color. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY1-800-735-2900.
PYB employees and full-time volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background and drug test check prior to employment. Portland YouthBuilders is a Drug Free Workplace and adheres to the requirements of the Drug Free Workplace Act. Portland YouthBuilders’ students and staff are subject to random drug tests.
- This program is funded 25% through a federal award of $1.5 million from the U.S. Department of Labor – ETA for the YouthBuild Program Initiative.
- This program financed in part with funds provided through Worksystems, Inc. from the U.S. Department of Labor, the City of Portland, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- PYB is an AmeriCorps program and students who are AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award.