Program & Communications Manager
Posted: November 12, 2022
Closed: When filled
ABOUT THE PORTLAND WORKFORCE ALLIANCE
The nonprofit PWA sees meaningful access to career development as a matter of social and economic justice, and young people as the key to our region’s long-term economic prosperity and quality of life. PWA works with local employers and educators to create experiences that help high school students develop their career aspirations, practice career skills, connect with industry professionals and work toward their college-and-career goals. We welcome all students, with extra outreach to higher-poverty and marginalized communities. PWA’s mission is to build enduring partnerships that improve Oregon’s graduation rate; support career readiness; create a strong and inclusive workforce; and help regional employers develop their pipeline of talent.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND OVERVIEW
Portland Workforce Alliance is seeking a program & communications manager who believes in the value of young people and the power of community-based career exploration. We are looking for a mission-driven, student-centered team player who can help PWA build and sustain its impact through effective programming and storytelling. The ideal candidate is a versatile team player with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills who can help us serve students from underrepresented and marginalized communities; and who has experience managing programs that serve young people, rely on volunteers and leverage community support. The ideal candidate has experience furthering an organization’s mission through communications avenues such as writing, photography and graphic design, and social media engagement to reach partners and supporters.
- Work with PWA team to develop, coordinate and execute experiences that educate students about career opportunities and help them develop skills, confidence and networks. Examples of these experiences are career mentorships, Career Days, mock interviews, career workshops and the NW Youth Careers Expo.
- Provide management and coordination support for key programs, including our growing portfolio of career mentorships.
- Assist with supporting volunteers and the PWA board of directors.
- Participate in professional development that builds individual and collective capacity and that supports PWA’s equity goals.
- Collaborate with PWA staff to maximize the effectiveness of our communication with educators, employers, donors and volunteers.
- Use skills in storytelling, data management, graphic design, writing, photography, photo editing and video to create marketing materials, impact reports, monthly e-newsletters, blog posts and other materials to promote the work and partners of PWA and the ACE Mentor Program.
- Manage the social media presence of PWA and the ACE Mentor Program.Manage the website of PWA, including the calendar and blog.
- Assist with donor management, grant-writing and fundraising.
- Use tools to help manage our contacts and support efficient communication.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree, or at least four years of relevant experience in education or workforce development
- 2 years of program or communications experience
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience using Google Suite and Microsoft Office on a daily basis; proficient with spreadsheets and other program management tools
- Experience using design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite; basic design proficiency.
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills; positive and helpful demeanor
- Cultural agility and experience interacting with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to multitask and manage deadlines through superior organizational skills
- Outstanding attention to detail
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Commitment to provide excellent service to educators, employers and students
- Desire to work in a collaborative and entrepreneurial work environment
Preferred skills or experience:
- 3+ years of program experience
- 3+ years of communications experience
- 2+ years working effectively with students, volunteers and leaders
- Familiarity with Oregon workforce needs and the industry landscape
- Proficiency with additional communication tools such as Mailchimp, CRM software or WordPress; excellent photography and video-editing skills
- Experience with grant writing, fundraising or events management
- Experience with event and program marketing via social media
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS
The job as posted is structured as a full time, hourly, non-exempt position. The typical week will be 37.5 to 40 hours, with occasional overtime needs. This job can be modified to a 0.8 position or reduced summer hours. The position will report to the Executive Director. May report to the Partnerships Director for specific projects or initiatives.
HOURS, PAY AND BENEFITS
Full time. Pay range: $24-$28/hour DOE ($46,800 - $58,000)
Competitive benefits package includes SIMPLE IRA with 3% employer match, employer-subsidized health insurance, short-term disability coverage, life insurance, paid holidays, sick time and earned vacation. Schedules may be flexible in support of work-life balance.
This position will be a mix of remote and office work. At times it will be necessary to travel to program events and employer sites in the Portland Metro area. Reliable transportation needed. All employees of PWA are required to undergo a criminal background check in alignment with our partner requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter, resume and three samples of your storytelling/design skills to email@example.com. Please use your cover letter to specify 1) why you are interested, 2) what skills you would bring to the organization, 3) how you can further our commitment to equity, and 4) how you have helped an organization grow or improve. In addition, please specify whether you are seeking a full-time role or are interested in a modified structure (for example, a 0.8 FTE or reduced summer hours). The position is open until filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS WILL INCLUDE:
- Application Materials
- Screening Interview
- Team Interview and Task Overview
- Upon advancing through the screening, candidates will meet with PWA team members for a panel interview and opportunity to learn more about the organization. Prior to this interview, candidates will receive 1-2 short scenarios related to the role. Candidates will have time during the interview to present their response. Through this task, candidates will demonstrate their knowledge, understanding and proficiency in the position.
- Reference Checking, Follow-up and Candidate Selection
As an equal opportunity employer, PWA is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. PWA does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.