This recruitment is open continuous.
Application review occurs every 2 weeks. Full timeline can be found below.
The Bureau of Technology Services is recruiting for an Information Systems Technical Analyst V - Telecommunications Specialty to join their team.
Under the direction of the Telecommunications Supervisor, the Telecommunications Engineer provides technical leadership and direction to junior telecommunications staff. This position is primarily responsible for the design, support, implementation and ongoing operations of the City’s telecommunications systems.
As a Telecommunications Engineer, you will:
- Partner with customer bureaus to define project requirements, cost estimates, implementation schedules and bid specifications for communications projects.
- Evaluate equipment needs, identify system requirements and application roadmaps for the telecommunications infrastructure.
- Lead large and complex communications projects while establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel, vendors, and other City employees.
- This position will provide on-call afterhours support.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- A proven track record of supporting complex Avaya communications systems is required.
- Ability to work within and foster team environments.
- Demonstrated ability to create effective working relationships with customers.
- Experience working with and leading teams under pressure.
- Experience creating technical telecommunications roadmaps and architectural plans.
- Ability to provide technical advice and guidance to telecommunications leadership.
- Experience with Avaya call center applications is preferred.
- Achieved or making demonstrable progress towards an Avaya certification is preferred.
The possession of the following experience is a typical way of obtaining the required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- 5 years direct technical support of Avaya core telecommunication systems; and
- 5 years of experience providing technical leadership of complex telecommunications projects.
The successful candidate must pass a comprehensive police background investigation in order to have their employment retained and be able to work in a culturally and gender diverse workplace.
This classification is represented by the Professional & Technical Employees Local 17 Union (PTE-17). To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portland.gov/bhr/employee-relations/labor-relations/labor-agreements and click on the appropriate link.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here.
As of October 18, 2021, all City employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This is required for all positions at the City of Portland. Proof of being fully vaccinated is required by date of hire. You may request an exception, for health or religious reasons, from getting the COVID-19 vaccine at the time a position is offered.
Some onsite work is currently required for this position. The City of Portland has set expectations that when return to office scenarios begin, each City employee will be required to report to a City office location in Portland, Oregon at least once a week. This requirement could change.
All of the following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Experience maintaining, troubleshooting and repair of telecommunications physical layer infrastructure.
- Experience designing and implementing Avaya core telephony systems.
- Experience with methods, techniques, principles, and practices of integrating voice communications systems with virtual systems and applications. For example: VMware or Citrix.
- Knowledge of operational characteristics of wide area networks and IP voice communications.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of designing, developing, installing, and maintaining wide area networks and IP voice communication systems.
- Ability to read and understand telecommunication specifications and industry standards.
Applicants must also possess:
- Ability to successfully pass an in-depth background investigation.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or have an approved exception by date of hire.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your cover letter and resume weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection. Some positions may require those placed on the eligible list to complete and sign a criminal background statement before being considered for employment.
**PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Job Posting: 2/28/22 - 8/29/22 *UPDATED*
- Round 1 Closes: 3/14/22
- Eligible List Round 1: Week of 3/21/22
- Round 2 Closes: 3/28/22
- Eligible List Round 2: Week of 4/4/22
- Round 3 Closes: 4/11/22
- Eligible List Round 3: Week of 4/18/22
- Round 4 Closes: 4/25/22
- Eligible List Round 4: Week of 5/2/22
- Round 5 Closes: 5/9/22
- Eligible List Round 5: Week of 5/16/22
- Round 6 Closes: 5/23/22
- Eligible List Round 6: Week of 5/30/22
- Round 7 Closes: 6/6/22
- Eligible List Round 7: Week of 6/13/22
- Round 8 Closes: 6/20/22
- Eligible List Round 8: Week of 6/27/22
- Round 9 Closes: 7/4/22
- Eligible List Round 9: Week of 7/11/22
- Round 10 Closes: 7/18/22
- Eligible List Round 10: Week of 7/25/22
- Round 11 Closes: 8/1/22
- Eligible List Round 11: Week of 8/8/22
- Round 12 Closes: 8/15/22
- Eligible List Round 12: Week of 8/22/22
- Round 13 Closes: 8/29/22
- Final Eligible List: Week of 9/5/22
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
- Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the “To Qualify” section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in the cover letter.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis: Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the “To Qualify” section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential
City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a “language pay differential.” This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/events .
Karen Ehn, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer