The Administrative and Curatorial Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support to the Curator of Japanese Art and Craft and helping to ensure the efficient operation of art exhibition management. This position requires someone who is organized, comfortable with budgeting and numbers, and familiar with Japanese language and customs. The Administrative and Curatorial Assistant reports to the Curator of Japanese Art and Craft.
- Provide administrative support to the Curator of Japanese Art and Craft
- Maintain Curator’s calendar, contacts, and schedule, prepare materials for meetings, and screen incoming calls and emails
- Schedule Curator’s national and international travel
- Manage Curator’s/Department’s filing system, organization, and office supplies
- Work with Curator to develop and manage annual budget
- Monitor Art Department invoices, payments, and credit card reports and other aspects of financial management
- Coordinate with Exhibition Coordinator and Curator through all stages of the exhibition process
- Assist with exhibition management and collections storage when needed
- Manage hospitality for guests of the Curator and Art Department
- Coordinate artist/visitor travel arrangements and hospitality: Driving, arranging transportation, lodging, and meal accommodation
- Manage all aspects of visitor itineraries, including planning and creation
- Work as a liaison between the Art Department and Japanese Garden staff, creating an atmosphere of trust, teamwork, and open communication
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code
- Experience and comfort in budgeting and working with numbers
- Proficient in spoken and written Japanese language and customs in a business setting is preferred
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Organized, detail oriented, and able to multi-task
- Prior administration experience preferred
- Valid Oregon Driver’s License and clean DMV record; capable of driving company car
- Flexibility to occasionally modify work schedule, able to work some weekends and evenings
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position and/or move about the Garden for several hours
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Wage: $18.00 - $20.00 per hour
- This is a full -time, hourly position with 40 hours per week. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), 8:00am to 4:30pm.
- Benefits: health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees); 401k plan (after 1 year of service, with 4% employer match); paid vacation, sick, and holiday time.
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Curatorial Assistant” in the subject line. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Submit application materials by Monday, December 10th, 2018.
All submitted applications will be held in confidence.