Central City Concern (CCC) is an innovative nonprofit agency providing comprehensive services to single adults and families impacted by homelessness, poverty, and addictions in the Portland metro area. We hire skilled and passionate people to meet our mission to end homelessness through innovative outcome-based strategies that support personal and community transformation.
SUMMARY: The Blackburn Center is an innovative program that will offer integrated housing, health care, and employment services with the long term goal of eliminating homelessness. We seek to change how these services are delivered to all people, especially vulnerable populations.
TITLE: Case Manager -Recuperative Care Program
Schedules: Day, Swing and Overnight Shifts Available!
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The Recuperative Care Case Manager works as a member of a multi-disciplinary team providing intensive case management for patients in a post-hospital recuperative care program for adults facing homelessness at discharge. The team is focused on working with partner hospitals and referring agencies to provide for the acute and ongoing medical care for patients at the Blackburn Center, providing short-term supportive housing, crisis management, referral to appropriate substance abuse, physical health, and mental health treatment, access to benefits and entitlements, appropriate and affordable housing, as part of a comprehensive approach to ending homelessness and achieving self-sufficiency.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Fill in for regular Recuperative Care staff as needed based on program capacity and staffing needs.
- Work under the medical direction of the Blackburn Center to coordinate acute and ongoing medical care for current Recuperative Care patients, in conjunction with regular staff.
- Perform welfare checks and charting on patients enrolled in the Recuperative Care program when covering for regular staff. Participate in the day to day operations of the Recuperative Care Program.
- Review hospital charts and medical records and obtain releases from patients to gather collateral information. Create patient charts and update electronic medical records in a timely manner with patient interactions, appointments and encounters.
- Coordinate services available to patients in Recuperative Care.
- Follow Policies and Procedures of Recuperative Care and the Blackburn Center.
- Respond to emergency medical situations as needed, complete pre-hospital care reports and incident reports when necessary.
- Provide transportation for patients to and from program related appointments, interviews, and hospitals/clinics.
- Screen patient referrals at Partner Hospitals upon identification of appropriate patients for Recuperative Care.
- Work with other Recuperative Care and Central City Concern staff to encourage patients to coordinate their health care with their primary care provider before using hospital Emergency Departments.
- Develop, implement and maintain a case plan to as needed for patients upon admission to the program.
- Help patients seek opportunities for further treatment, care and services within Central City Concern and the community.
- Attend weekly clinical meeting and provide current information to team regarding client’s participation in program and other activities.
- Work with Recuperative Care team (including Program Manager, Case Managers, Logistics Specialist, Housing Specialist, Program Assistant and clinical, logistics and operations volunteers) to ensure quality care for patients in Recuperative Care, including helping to identify psychological, social and medical needs.
- Participate in compliance,?quality assurance and quality improvement?activities as directed.
- Transport clients when needed (Only if approved CCC driver).
- Adhere to all state and federal privacy regulations, including HIPAA and 42 CFR Part 2, and to CCC policies and agreements regarding confidentiality, privacy, and security.? Support compliance with all privacy and security requirements pursuant to community partners’ and outside providers’ patient confidentiality agreements, including privacy and security requirements for EMR access.? This includes immediately reporting any breach of protected health information or personal identification information of any person receiving CCC services by CCC or an outside provider to the CCC Compliance Department, as well as to your supervisor or their designee.
- Attend all mandatory CCC trainings in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to consider the impacts and outcomes for underserved communities during decision-making processes.
- Ability to consider impacts of systems of oppression, structural racism, and individual bias on client outcomes.
- Ability to function as a team member and be flexible in attitude and have the desire to relate effectively with Recuperative Care Patients.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing. Ability to manage time and meet deadlines. Ability to work courteously and effectively communicate with the general public, tenants/patients, medical personnel, corrections personnel, police, merchants and co-workers.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with other programs staff. Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with hospital partners and health service providers. Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with other community resources critical to program success.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and necessary paperwork. Ability to learn and apply training instruction. Ability to perform simple arithmetic computations. Ability to maintain strict standards of confidentiality with regard to patient information. Ability to maintain a calm professional demeanor and make independent judgments. Ability to transport patients in company vehicle.
- Ability to handle emergency/violent situations with skill, confidence and tact.
- Ability to work weekends and/or holidays and on-call hours when necessary for the program.
- Ability to supervise Recuperative Care volunteers when appropriate. Must have a high tolerance for ambiguity and change.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- One year + experience working in medical clinic, hospital, or other healthcare setting.
- Medical Case Management/Care Coordination/Recuperative Care experience preferred. Those with relevant lived experience are encouraged to apply.
- Must have an understanding of the causes of homelessness, the medical and psychosocial sequelae of homelessness, and the systems and processes used to help clients secure and maintain stable housing.
- Must have current Healthcare Provider CPR/First Aid certification prior to start date.
- Must have a working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Must be able to be trained in the use of CCCHS Database programs CCCER and Centricity.
- Must have non-violent de-escalation training, or complete within 90 days of hire.
- If driving, must possess a current driver’s license, pass a DMV background check and be designated an “acceptable” driver as outlined in Central City Concern’s Fleet Safety Policy. Must pass an initial drivers training within 60 days of being an approved driver and continued recertification training.
- Will be required to carry an agency cell phone for work use. Cell phone will be provided by Central City Concern.
- Ability to adhere to Central City Concern’s drug-free workplace which encourages a safe, healthy and productive work environment and strictly complies with the Drug-Free Work Place Ace of 1988.?An employee shall not, in the workplace, unlawfully manufacture, distribute, dispense, possess or use a controlled substance or alcohol.
- Must have excellent reading and comprehension skills.
- Must be available to work weekends and/or holidays and on-call hours when necessary for the program.
- Must have a high tolerance for ambiguity and change.
- Must be able to work efficiently in a very fast paced environment.
- Must generally have the ability to walk, bend, stoop, kneel, squat, twist, reach, pull and lift up to 50 pounds, and climb stairs with reasonable or no accommodation.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, TB test, and background check. This includes clearance by the DHS Background Check Unit and the ability obtain ID-Badge at Partner Hospitals.
- Must adhere to agency’s non-discrimination policies.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers and patients with diverse ethnic backgrounds, religious views, political affiliation, cultural backgrounds, life-styles and sexual orientations and treat individuals with respect and dignity.
Central City Concern offers an incredible benefits package to our employees!
- Generous paid time off plan beginning at 4 weeks per year at the time of hire. Accrual increases with longevity.
- Amazing 403(b) Retirement Savings plan with an employer match of 4.25% in your 1styear, 6% in the 2nd year, and 8% in your 3rd year!
- 10 paid Holidays PLUS 2 Personal Holidays to be used at the employee’s discretion.
- Comprehensive Medical, Vision, and Dental insurance coverage.
- Employer Paid Life, Short-Term Disability, AND Long-Term Disability Insurance!
- Sabbatical Program offering extended time off at years 7, 14, and 21.
This description is intended to provide a snapshot of the work performed. It is not designed to contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required for the position.
Central City Concern is a second chance employer and complies with applicable laws regarding consideration of criminal background for employment purposes. Government regulations, contractual requirements, or the duties of this particular job may require CCC to conduct a background check and take appropriate action to address prior criminal convictions.?
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER