Job Location: Buckman House - Portland, OR
Position Type: On Call, As Needed
Education Level: Bachelor Degree Preferred
Salary Range: $20.00 - $22.50 Hourly
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
Job Shift: Any
Job Category: Entry Level
SCHEDULE: Substitute workers work on an as-needed, sporadic basis. There is no guarantee of scheduled hours. Because the program is staffed 24-hours per day, 365 days per year, substitute workers must have some flexibility in their availability and, generally, must be able to work overnight shifts, as well as weekends and holidays. An Overnight Shift Bonus of $75.00 will be provided to any employee that works an overnight shift that does not fall under their regular shift schedule. Substitute Workers who do not work for 6 consecutive months are normally removed from the employment rolls. The schedule may be adjusted according to the needs of the program.
WAGE/BENEFITS: $20.00 per hour (with potential +$2.00 for eligible overnight hours worked and +$.50 for staff with Bachelor's Degree in: Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, Mental Health, Human Development or a related field). Ineligible for benefits except as required by law.
Applications for all positions may be forwarded to appropriate similar positions within Janus Youth Programs. Positions may vary by location, pay structure, union, and supervisory staff.
The Substitute Youth Care Specialist provides supervision of residents and security of the residential independent living treatment program for males, ages 17-24, who are re-entering the community from close custody juvenile correction institutions. The position is also responsible for various record keeping assignments, report writing, and data entry.
QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education, experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position is qualifying.
- Bachelor’s degree in mental health, social work, juvenile justice, or related field or two years’ experience working with youth is preferred. (Note: No less than 50 percent of the Direct Care Staff shall have a Bachelor’s Degree.)
- Experience and clinical training working with delinquent or emotionally disturbed adolescents, at least one of which has been in a residential setting, is strongly preferred.
- Preference may be extended to current employees of Janus Youth Programs, Inc.
- Values working in a multicultural/diverse environment.
- Exercise of independent and team-coordinated direction and judgment.
- Staying calm and emotionally available in an environment serving emotionally disturbed youth.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with a broad variety of people, including staff, supervisors and management.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse cultures.
- Openness to feedback and supervision.
- Requires working effectively within a team dependent environment.
- Exercise tact, discretion, and judgment in working with a variety of people.
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries in working with others and in handling confidential information.
- Regularly attend scheduled shifts, be punctual for scheduled shifts and meetings, and be in a condition suitable for assuming responsibilities of position.
- Ability to stay awake and alert throughout shift.
- Perform and/or supervise routine household tasks (cleaning, cooking, emptying trash, etc.)
- Accurately read, record, and interpret information.
- Requires climbing at least 2 flights of stairs.
- Provide auditory and visual supervision of clients.
- Ability to effectively monitor safety and demonstrate group management skills and effectively de-escalate potentially chaotic or volatile situations.
- Manual and physical dexterity allowing for performance of routine household and office functions such as computer use, phone use, copying, faxing, writing, filing, cleaning, cooking, lifting, reaching etc.
- Driving is not required. All employees who drive for work purposes must have and maintain a valid driver’s license for state of residency, have a driving record that permits coverage under the corporate auto liability policy, and complete the agency’s driving approval process before driving for work. If driving a personal vehicle for work purposes drivers must also have personal auto liability coverage ($100,000/$300,000 levels strongly recommended). Employees are not to drive for work purposes until they have received written authorization to do so.
- Bloodborne Pathogens training is required on first day of employment and annually thereafter.
- Must complete Mandatory Abuse Training within the first 30 days of employment and annually thereafter.
- Provides emergency first-aid, as needed, and must have and maintain standard first-aid/CPR certification.
- Must pass criminal history background check.
- Food Handler's Certification.
- Must obtain National Provider Identification Number through the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System.
- Full COVID-19 vaccination required.
- May involve exposure to communicable diseases, including a variety of illnesses and infections such as the common cold, TB, Hepatitis, flu, meningitis, and HIV.
- May involve exposure to upset, angry, severely traumatized or emotionally disturbed children, adolescents and families.
- May involve time in excess of routine schedule and/or overtime, including evening/overnight, weekend hours, and/or holidays.
- May require working and providing services at locations other than program site (i.e., restaurant, café’, clients’ apartments, etc.,) and may, therefore, be exposed to environments not under agency control (i.e., second-hand smoke, varying hygiene practices, etc.).
This position description is intended to give the reader a general idea of the overall purpose and the main activities and responsibilities that are intrinsic to this position. While this description is intended to be representative, it is not intended to be limiting.
Learn more about Janus Youth Programs at www.janusyouth.org!