Summary of Position: Position serves on the Senior Management Team of the HBAMP, a dynamic association with strong volunteer leadership, a great staff team, and the most awarded HBA in the Country by our affiliated national association over the last 10-15 years. The position oversees financial, business and human resource operations and is the #2 staff position, providing guidance and input on association operations, growth and strategic direction. Includes oversight for accounting, budgeting, financial reporting, facilities, catering, personnel and I.T.
Summary of HBAMP: HBAMP serves more than 1,400 builders, remodelers, craftsmen/women and industry professionals, as well as the communities where they live and work. Through education, advocacy, and collaboration, we work with members and elected officials, public agencies, neighborhood associations and other partners to make building and remodeling all types of homes, from single-family to high rise, more efficient and responsive to the needs of our communities.
The association has a staff of 25+ and a $5 million annual budget. Major activities include consumer shows (e.g. Street of Dreams, Tour of Remodeled Homes, Home & Garden Show), political and government affairs work, educational and certification programs, networking activities and events, and public interest and relations efforts. HBAMP is affiliated with state (OHBA) and national (NAHB) home builders associations.
Compensation and Benefits: Full-time, salaried, exempt position. Base salary range of $95,000-$115,000 commensurate with experience, plus potential year-end bonuses. Association also offers a profit sharing plan, 401(k), medical/dental/vision insurance, long and short-term disability, and other benefits to qualified employees.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Oversee all accounting department functions, including A/R and A/P, general invoicing and dues billing, collections, banking, cash reconciliations and cash management.
- Maintain corporate documents and ensure compliance with all appropriate reporting requirements for payroll, personnel, property, and tax returns and filings
- Prepare annual budget in conjunction with other department managers and CEO.
- Prepare regular reports on budget performance and develop metrics to help Board and staff understand progress towards meeting stated budget and performance goals. Work closely with staff and appropriate committee and Board members in presentation of reports.
- Ensure proper internal financial and operational policies and controls are in place and implemented.
- Oversee and verify all payroll functions and processing.
- Ensure compliance and proper reporting of investments, pension and 401(k) plans.
- Coordinate independent annual financial audit.
- Review and ensure association and all related entities have appropriate insurance coverages.
- Manage HBA building and property reserves, including updating, reporting and expenditures.
- Provide general management and budget oversight for the association’s technology resources, working with the Facilities Manager and the I.T. Coordinator to ensure networks, servers, computers, software, phones, equipment, training and tech support are in place to meet needs of association and staff.
- Oversee facility management, including maintenance, space utilization, service contracts, leasing and tenant relations.
- Provide financial and management oversight for catering operations including accounting, inventory, policies, budgets, collections and timely financial reporting and projections.
- Annually review association’s purchasing and contracting procedures to ensure the most economical and responsible use of funds for supplies and services.
- Ensure HBA events, particularly our large consumer shows, have adequate technology, money capture processes, security onsite and safe transport of event funds. Document processes to provide event sales are properly accounted for and reconciled to reports in a timely manner.
- Administer all human resource operations, record-keeping, and new hire orientations. Implement appropriate hiring, training, evaluation, benefit and termination policies.
- Serve as key senior management liaison to internal staff committee responsible for ongoing work related to staff teamwork, culture and values.
- Review, update and maintain appropriate personnel and operation policies, helping to ensure a work environment that maintains and models positive, safe and supportive values.
- Serve as member of the association’s senior management team. Train, supervise and evaluate assigned personnel. Maintain budgets and accounting ledgers. Regularly update the CEO as to the activities of the department.
- Annually review and analyze employee medical, dental and other insurance options to cost effectively provide a strong benefits program for our staff.
- Provide the necessary liaison and staff support to the Finance committee; work with various committee Chairs and staff to ensure Board budgets and plans are followed, and communicate committee financial/budget impacts to the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Four-year college degree in finance-related field required.
- At least seven years management experience with finance, accounting and H.R. responsibilities required.
- Prior experience in non-profit trade association environment strongly preferred, or similar environment working with Boards, committees and a volunteer/membership structure.
- Proven ability to creatively and constructively meet financial and operational needs of an organization of similar size and scope.
- Ability to prepare and communicate accurate and reliable reports that effectively show association’s financial position to non-financial people (i.e. staff, committees, Board).
- Experience with SAGE 100c accounting software (or similar), F9 reporting software, Visual Integrator and Microsoft Excel desired.
- Familiarity with server/work station hardware and software issues, including knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, desired.
- Strong management/leadership skills and good written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Ability and desire to embrace the HBA culture values of Integrity, Respect, Trust, Excellence, Creativity and Camaraderie.
- Overtime and occasional evening/weekend work, especially during summer months, required.
People will do well in our work environment who: Have an interest in and are able to support the value of the home building and remodeling industries. Enjoy an active, event-oriented environment. Can work in an atmosphere where there is regular activity and member/staff interactions, even when it may be a little disruptive. Look for ways to be of help to others. Believe in the value of collectively working with staff and members to achieve goals, even when this may slow down the process. Able to work in an environment where priorities and responsibilities are laid out in general but need to be adapted to changes in needs or demands of the day/week.
Application Requirements: Please include a cover letter that addresses your interest in the position and how your experience, skills and background are a good match for the position requirements and work. Email cover letter and resume submissions to:
Home Builders Association of Metropolitan Portland
Attn: Dave Nielsen, CEO
Subject: VP of Finance and Administration