Position Title: Head Custodian
Location: Nestucca Valley School District
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Contract Days: 195-260
FTE: 1.0 (8 duty hours per day)
Salary: Classified Salary Schedule, $17.66-$19.01/hr DOE
Perform and supervise routine custodial, repair, maintenance, and cleaning work in school buildings
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
- Modern cleaning methods and the use, care, and safety of cleaning materials and equipment
- Methods, materials, equipment, and tools used in routine building and grounds maintenance work;
- Requirements for maintaining school buildings and grounds in a safe, clean, and orderly condition.
- Use cleaning materials and equipment with skill, efficiency, and safety;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Maintain records;
- Establish and maintain positive and harmonious relationships with students, fellow employees and the general public;
- Perform heavy physical labor;
- Provide strong customer service.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Performs some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Sweeps, scrubs, waxes, and polishes concrete, linoleum, tile and wood floors, and vacuums rugs and carpets in school offices and rooms;
- Cleans and dusts walls, furniture, woodwork, and other equipment;
- Picks up paper and other refuse on grounds and sweeps walks and entrances;
- Washes, scrubs, and disinfects rest rooms and drinking fountains;
- Cleans windows and door panels;
- Empties and cleans waste containers;
- Assists in moving and/or rearranging chairs, tables, desks, furniture and other equipment;
- Replaces light bulbs;
- Maintains equipment used in the course of work;
- Performs special custodial work upon request of faculty members (with supervisor's approval);
- Reports safety, sanitary, and fire hazards to proper authority;
- May perform routine grounds keeping duties and be responsible for locking doors and windows, turning out lights and securing building as assigned;
- Confers with principal or maintenance specialist regarding care and cleaning programs;
- Schedules and prepares work schedules for same;
- Supervise custodians and student workers performing custodial duties;
- Perform minor maintenance work as directed by supervisor;
- Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent GED
Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to diverse groups.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Works well with others. Focuses on solving conflict; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas; and contributes to building a positive team spirit.
The physical demands strength rating reflects the estimated overall strength requirements of the job. The strength rating is expressed by one of the five terms: Sedentary, Light, Medium, Heavy and Very Heavy. This position is classified as Heavy.
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time, as it deems advisable.
Nestucca Valley School District is an equal opportunity employer and provides services to the public on an equal opportunity basis and does not discriminate in employment or the provision of public services on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief, citizenship or marital status. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities or individuals with limited proficiency in English. Contact the District Office for assistance.
Reasonable accommodations for the application and interview process will be provided upon request and as required in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Individuals with disabilities may contact the Human Resources Specialist at 503-392-3194 for additional information or assistance. Speech/Hearing impaired persons may contact the district for assistance through the Oregon telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.