Position: Store Associate (part-time)
Department: ReStore - Portland
Reports to: Store Manager
Status: Part-time; Non-exempt
Compensation: $15.00/hour to $17.10/hour; See Starting Salary Expectations section below.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region revitalizes neighborhoods, builds affordable and sustainable homes, and empowers families through successful homeownership. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global home building movement and top private home builder in the country. By providing affordable housing, home repairs, skilled construction training, financial education, and volunteer opportunities, the organization has transformed millions of lives, helped stabilize communities and fostered economic vitality in the region. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to reach their full potential, and that starts with a stable and healthy place to call home.
We are intentional about building a healthy and thriving organizational culture and envision a community of staff, partners, volunteers, and donors who are deeply committed to equitable and anti-racist practices in every facet of our organization. We engage in continual learning and seek ways to operationalize equitable practices. Our Equity Statement and Cultural Compact are living, breathing documents that we continually work toward.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region operates out of two offices (Hillsboro and NE Portland), four brick and mortar stores (Beaverton, Gresham, Portland, and Vancouver), one warehouse (NE Portland), and a number of construction sites (varies). Please visit our website and social media pages to learn more.
Note to Candidates:
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications as described.
Store Associates are responsible for working with their store team of staff and volunteers to manage all aspects of day-to-day retail operations as needed and directed by leadership. A typical shift involves loading and unloading vehicles, guiding volunteers, cashiering, and providing customer service. Store Associates are expected to perform all tasks safely, efficiently, and effectively, and to use polite and respectful communication with co-workers, volunteers, and customers. This position requires energy and motivation as well as a connection to the Habitat mission.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is committed to the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, and the broader community. Starting January 4, 2022, all employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, or will be required to undergo weekly Covid-19 testing as a condition of employment. Medical and/or religious accommodations may apply.
- Customer service excellence, including greeting and assisting customers, loading and measuring items, answering questions, and cashiering
- Greet donors, accept and inspect donations that meet our criteria, and decline those that do not
- Train volunteers to complete tasks, and support them with reviews and follow-up
- Clean and price donations
- Stock merchandise on the sales floor
- Clean and organize the store, including receiving areas, break rooms, rest rooms, and outdoor areas
- Manage opening and closing of the store
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- One year customer service experience
- Skill in working in a team with staff and volunteers, following the lead and direction of leadership
- Ability and desire to maintain a clean and organized work environment
- Time management skills, including managing donation flow urgency and timely arrival for shifts
- Ability, or willingness to learn, to correctly and safely use tools and equipment, such as a forklift, pallet jack, and dolly
- Knowledge of, and desire to follow, safety requirements as well as the ability to ensure that store team members do the same
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, communication tools, such as telephone, email, and 2-way radio
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment, and learn new operations skills as program develops
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Any qualifying combination of education, certification, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Volunteer experience.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- This job operates in an open, warehouse retail environment
- This position is very active and requires consistent standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing
- This employee must frequently lift, move, and/or load items over 50 pounds with mechanical assistance and/or a team lift
- Part-time; weekends required
- Current store hours: 10am-6pm Wednesday - Monday
Starting Salary Expectations:
Minimum $15.00 per hour to wage range midpoint of $17.10 per hour. Placement will generally not exceed the midpoint based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. The full wage range is $15.00 per hour to $19.20 per hour.
We offer a part-time benefits package that includes:
- Generous paid time off that includes vacation, sick time, holidays, and birthday
- Employee assistance program
- And more!
How to Apply:
Submit the following materials at: https://tinyurl.com/habpdxjobs
- Cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position.
- Three professional references
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.