Director of Accounts Receivable and Veteran's Benefits
University Mission: Concordia University is a Christian university preparing leaders for the transformation of society.
Department Mission: In order to further the mission of Concordia University, the Finance team will provide the University community with leadership and support services in the areas of Financial Management. It will provide customer and clerical service in a manner reflective of the basic values that are at the core of Concordia University.
All candidates wanting to be considered for this position will need to apply on Concordia's website: https://cu-portland.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=cu-portland&id=702
Reports To: Controller (BS0005)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Number: BS0012
Salary Grade: Grade 7
Primary Work Location: Portland Main Campus, onsite
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Employee Classification: 03 – Staff, Full-time, Exempt
EEO Classification: 11-3011
Last Updated: November 2018
The Director of Accounts Receivable and Veteran Benefits is responsible for the daily operations of Accounts Receivable and Veteran Benefits assignments. This Position will manage the strategic objectives of the Accounts Receivable and Veteran Benefits cycle through design, implementation, maintenance, and management of all functions and procedures. This individual will communicate effectively with warmth, sensitivity, and understanding as s/he deals with colleagues, faculty, students, parents, and visitors. It is also crucial to possess an attitude of flexibility and willingness to assist with operational tasks essential to the Accounts Receivable and Veteran Benefits Department and the Finance Department as a whole.
Concordia University is a private, Christian university. Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based on religion in order to further the Lutheran objectives of the University and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Accounts Receivable 30%
· Manages and oversees invoicing, processing student cash receipts, student refunds, and collections in accordance with Title IV guidelines, and all related accounting operations.
· Works directly with students and assisting student accounts staff members in providing excellent customer service to students and third-party customers with patience, clarity, and integrity by reviewing the charges, scholarships, grants, payment plans, and payments on their account and working toward solutions for payments in accordance with payment policy.
· Oversight and reconciliation of the administration of Veteran Benefit Certifications.
2. Reporting 15%
· Prepares, reviews, and analyzes accounts receivable reports using SQL and general reporting tools within company software. Provide various reports and analyses in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices as they relate to accounts receivable.
3. Cross Functional Participation 40%
· Under the direction of the Controller, the Director of Accounts Receivable develops policies and procedures relating to student accounts and general accounts receivable functions in accordance with University policy and state and federal guidelines.
· Ensure monthly closing tasks relating to reconciliation of VA Benefits, Outside Scholarships, Book Store Vouchers, etc., are accomplished and in balance with the general ledger, including identification of discrepancies.
· Provides oversight and technological maintenance for student tuition payment plans with third party software interface
· Coordinates with the Staff Accountant II for set up of detail codes relating to the creation, implementation, and maintenance of priority codes within the student module of Banner or the equivalent software to interface with the accounting in the general ledger.
· Manages and ensures compliance that University policies relating to student accounts is applied consistently with and by our partners (Concordia System schools, Hotchalk, etc.) to accomplish specific goals relating to students accounts.
· Coordinates activity with the Student Financial Aid department to ensure timely delivery of grants and loans to student accounts.
4. Transactions 3%
· Serves as back-up for reconciling daily receipts and preparing daily deposits.
· Responsible for internal production 1098T tax statements as per Federal and state requirements, and all international equivalent forms such as the Canadian T11LA. This is to include the accurate and timely filing with the Internal Revenue Service of these forms.
5. Other 12%
· Interacts with internal and external auditors and participate in auditing projects and annual audit.
· Participates in the on-going review and/or implementation of software and works to identify and implement new or improved solutions with the support of the information technology department(s).
· Coordinates, supervises and reviews the work of the Office Administrative Manager staff member; provides leadership, feedback, coaching, and mentoring to all staff reporting to this position.
· Ensure scheduled mandatory bank deposits are achieved. Occasionally drive to and from bank to routine bank deposits, if possible and as needed.
· Perform other job responsibilities as directed by the Controller.
Direct reports, departmental and university peers, students and representatives from partner organizations.
Scope of Work
Directs and coordinates employee activities. Assists in establishing strategic and operational plans and accountable for implementing operational plans for the AR function within the Finance department. Develops and implements procedures and practices to improve efficiency, compliance and quality.
Office environment with minimal noise exposure.
Minimum Physical Requirements
- Able to tolerate prolonged sitting, exposure to computer terminal and computer use.
- Able to bend, reach, grasp, lift and carry within an office environment. Occasionally lift up to 20 lbs.
- Able to perform complex mathematical and logical reasoning functions with a high degree of accuracy and timeliness.
- Able to engage in effective two-way conversation.
- Able to maintain regular and consistent attendance at the onsite work location.
- Able to drive a vehicle in varying weather and traffic conditions.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or commensurate level of directly related experience.
- 5+ years work experience in customer services and accounts receivable, including invoicing and collections.
- 3+ years supervisory or management experience.
- SQL experience and knowledge preferred. Must be technologically savvy with current skills, and willing to continue to develop new technological processes and changes as they may apply to A/R.
- Banner ERP System experience and knowledge highly preferred.
- Ability to obtain Veteran Benefit Certification Requirements.
- Minimum Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Able to demonstrate and apply extensive knowledge and understanding of proper accounting treatment for accounts receivable transactions and activities.
- Able to think strategically for building upon the projected growth of CU.
- Able to take the initiative and promote initiative within their team/department.
- Well-developed analytic, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Exceptional time management skills. Able to demonstrate a high degree of organization with ability to manage multiple priorities and deliver assignments on time. Able to work effectively in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Excellent listening, written verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Successful team management skills. Ability to delegate tasks, while maintaining oversight.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Excel, MS Word), including use of complex formulas and pivot tables in Excel on a frequent basis.
- Successful in dealing with customer and company personnel at all levels.
- Ability to exhibit poise, composure, and confidence when confronting stressful or high-pressure situations.
- Able to handle sensitive topics and situations with empathy and emotional stability.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and handle confidential information with good judgement, discretion and integrity.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal oversight.
Pre-Employment Screening Requirements
Successful pass a criminal background check
Attitude and demeanor of all Concordia University employees: As part of a work environment that highly values Christian education, educational excellence and service to students, all members of the community will:
- Publicly support the mission of Concordia University.
- Communicate effectively with warmth, sensitivity, and understanding as s/he deals with administrative colleagues, teachers, students, parents, faculty, college personnel and program associates.
- Work as a team member in a professional environment.
- Possess a “service attitude” (willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of the department).
- Have a professional physical appearance (appropriate clothing, personal hygiene, etc.).