POSTING DATE: October 8, 2021. Position open until filled.
JOB TITLE: Associate Director
LOCATION: We are currently working remotely and anticipate hybrid work from office-home in 2022. Office location at St. Vincent Medical Center, Portland, Oregon.
COMPENSATION: Full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $83,000 - $93,000, depending on experience, skills, and education.
The Oregon Pediatric Society (OPS) is a strong statewide voice for the health and well-being of all infants, children, and adolescents, while supporting those that care for them. We are the state chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the professional-membership, medical standards, and advocacy organization for pediatricians. OPS provides continuing education, quality improvement projects, and peer networking for child health providers. OPS works with community and legislative partners to champion anti-racist, equitable, and science-based policies to improve pediatric care and public health, mental health care access, the environment, and other social influences on health.
This is a new position, meant to be co-created with and mentored by the Executive Director. While working closely with the ED and other staff, the Associate Director will direct operations, accounting, member relations and engagement, HR, fundraising, events, and some member, funded, and partners programs. The AD will directly supervise two or more staff members, and work with the ED on nurturing the workplace culture and staff professional development, while keeping kids, equity, and pediatric providers at the center of our work.
Your leadership initiative, relational and supervisory skills, and dedication to our mission will make a crucial difference in OPS’s success and growth. Our organizational culture is team-based, fast paced, entrepreneurial, and results-oriented. Employees are expected to perform quality work collaboratively and flexibly, while learning from our efforts, celebrating victories, and laughing along the way.
OPS strongly encourages applications from people of all racial, ethnic, gender, LGBTQ, age, and ability demographics. We are currently a paid staff of five who aspire to diversify our team. Learn more about us at https://oregonpediatricsociety.org/staff/
The person in this position will usually work traditional Monday through Friday hours with flexibility, allowing for occasional evening, early morning, or weekend work. The job could require some overnight travel within the state, and the Director must be willing to provide their own transportation as needed. When working from home, employees should be accessible, responsive, and reliable, with a stable internet connection.
You will thrive as the OPS Associate Director if you have many of the following skills, successes, and attitudes:
- A team leader who values relationships, is flexible with ambiguity, and transparent about mistakes. High ethical standards.
- Strong supervisory skills and work experience with direct reports. Ability to set and evaluate performance goals, listen to and hold colleagues accountable for their individual and team work. Experience with HR best practices and shaping human resource policies.
- Project and event management skills such as being organized, with detailed, thorough, and accurate implementation.
- Excellent time management, especially with meeting deadlines and juggling multiple priorities.
- Strong supervisory skills. Ability to set and evaluate performance goals, listen to and hold colleagues accountable for their individual and team work. Experience with HR best practices and shaping human resource policies.
- Systems and critical thinking, process-improvement orientation.
- Knowledge of project budgeting, accounting, grants management, financial reporting, grant writing and/or business development.
- Proficiency with using/learning computer software (Microsoft Office, Google Suite, QuickBooks, databases like Donor Perfect and Constant Contact).
- Clear, effective written and verbal communication in English. Able to take and make work improvement directions nondefensively.
- Client-service orientation and respectful of physician work. Preferred experience with health care providers or systems, and/or association management.
- Prioritizes maintaining excellent relations with the AAP and key funders, OPS board and members, and community partners.
We’re looking for a colleague with 10+ years of professional work experience--ideally in association management; public or healthcare administration; business, legal, or financial services; HR; or quality improvement--and a minimum of three years working in the nonprofit/philanthropic sector at a core management or executive level. Don’t have a background in all the areas of nonprofit management listed? Tell us how your experience and knowledge are relevant for this job and our organization; your eagerness and ability to learn quickly go a long way! Candidates who are from historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Valid Oregon driver’s license and proof of insurance, and passing a background check required. Organizational policy requires all staff to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Work involves extended periods of sitting, frequent computer usage, and speaking. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is a full-time, exempt position. The annual salary range is $83,000 - $93,000. OPS’s total compensation package includes salary; 15 days annual PTO and 12 holidays; employer-paid Gold health insurance plan (medical, dental, vision); and a SIMPLE IRA with 3% employer match.
Send email inquiries about the position and your application (a resume and two-page maximum cover letter detailing your qualifications and interests) to HR@oraap.org. Please include where you found this job posting, how soon you could be available if offered the position, and describe a personal experience where you made a difference in the life of a young person.
Applicants selected to be interviewed will be asked to submit three references, including one from a recent supervisor. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Thank you for your interest!