At Habitat for Humanity, we believe that everyone deserves a stable and affordable place to call home. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International. We are proud to be among the top affiliates in the nation with leading edge program development, construction, innovation, and fundraising. We are invested in creating a Portland Region where everyone has the opportunity to build a better life.
We are intentional about building a healthy and thriving organizational culture and envision a community of staff, partners, volunteers, and donors who are deeply committed to equitable and anti-racist practices in every facet of our organization. We engage in continual learning and seek ways to operationalize equitable practices. Our Equity Statement and Cultural Compact are living, breathing documents that we continually work toward.
The Director of Development will play a critical role in leading the organization’s philanthropic programs to address the most urgent issue facing our region, the high cost of housing. With community support to build homes, Habitat buyers are able to experience the stability and financial foundation that uniquely comes from purchasing and owning an affordable home. This position offers the right candidate an opportunity to build a career leading a focused 10-person fund development team and collaborating with a 4-person communication team to effectively and authentically translate Habitat’s work and mission to the supporters who fund that work.
Reporting to the Vice President of Resource Development, this individual will oversee all private donor revenue for the organization. The Director of Development is responsible for meeting the annual fundraising goal of $5M and for building long-term growth strategies across a diversified supporter base of individual donors, businesses, and foundations. This is a position that requires thriving on building a strong team culture while tailoring individual approaches to coaching direct reports. The Director of Development will oversee a team of 9 that includes five direct reports.
The ideal candidate will be skilled at motivating a team of talented fundraising professionals, bring a wealth of experience running effective major gift and annual fund programs, possess solid project management and data analysis skills to ensure the implementation of effective systems and processes, and to guide decision-making.
- Lead the team in designing and executing a 3-year fundraising plan that supports the organization’s overall 5-year strategic plan for growth
- Lead the department’s annual budget forecasting and management
- Work closely with CEO, Board of Directors, and Vice President of Resource Development on key fundraising initiatives and campaigns
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Communications to execute programs, campaigns, and events
- Set the departmental Key Performance Indicators and track performance monthly
- Build and maintain sound processes and systems to increase staff efficiency and program growth
- Foster a culture of gratitude that ensures supporters at all levels of giving are cultivated and respected
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Development Manager and Event Manager to provide strategic direction for our annual fund program and two signature fundraising events
- Structure and implement leadership giving clubs and engagement opportunities such as Planned Giving Legacy Society, Cornerstone Society, Home Sponsorship program, Team Builder, and other initiatives
- Craft fundraising cases for support in conjunction with the portfolio gifts team and support solicitations to high level donors
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Creative thinker with a strategic mindset and ability to see the big picture while leading the team to implement actionable plans in a timely manner
- Strong program management skills with an understanding of how to use data to build healthy and thriving donor pipelines across various fundraising programs
- Commitment to the ongoing work required to move Habitat for Humanity Portland Region toward a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization
- Genuine display of high level self- and other-awareness
- Commitment to fostering a community-centric approach to storytelling and fundraising that respectfully translates Habitat’s impact while inspiring donors to engage as equal partners in the work
- Excellent public speaking and writing skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to bring structure to systems and processes
- 7+ years of fundraising experience with at least 3 years of proven success in major gift work and budget forecasting
- 5+ years of experience supervising multiple manager-level direct reports
- Demonstrated lifelong learner, with a desire to seek out best practices in the evolving world of fund development
- Proven track record of developing and growing sources of revenue
- Proven success in working cross-departmentally and collaboratively with finance, program, and volunteer departments to achieve goals
- Experience with analyzing data and a firm grasp of CRM software
- Knowledge of housing affordability issues
- Successful grant writing experience
- Proficient in Raiser’s Edge software (NXT Preferred)
- Experience with peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns and software
- Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) certification
- Understanding of how to utilize an equity filter when creating fund development campaigns and communications
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- The office is a fast-paced, business casual environment
- This employee will routinely use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and printers
- This position requires local travel in the employee’s personal vehicle
- 40 hours a week, variable, includes evenings and weekends dependent upon appointments and events
We offer a great benefits package with health insurance (medical, vision, alternative, prescription), dental insurance, a health reimbursement arrangement, generous paid time off, a matching retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, short-term disability insurance, an employee assistance program, and more!
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position, a resume, and three professional references at the link provided.
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.