PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
International development and global health represent one of the greatest opportunities for digital technologies to make an impact on a global scale. New technologies, approaches and tools are emerging daily, unfortunately into a fragmented and immature digital health market landscape that currently limits their promise to transform country health systems and accelerate and amplify progress towards national and global health goals.
The Center of Digital and Data Excellence (CoDE) Department within PATH focuses on the health system, our teams work with the creation and/or improvement of digital health systems/products such as digital health records, analytical, tools and data, use processes across all health verticals.
Digital Square, the CoDE department’s largest global initiative, supported by PATH and funded by multiple donors, including USAID and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, to invest in and mature the field of global digital health to realize this promise. Conceived from the lessons of the inefficiencies and redundancies of prior investments in digital technologies for international development, Digital Square brings global and regional actors together to create a new way of thinking about, and a new way of doing, development.
The Technical Program Manager for CoDE will support the Digital Square leadership team, as well as other global Digital Initiatives, and will report to the Deputy Director of Global Goods within Digital Square. The Technical Program Manager will work with the Deputy Director of Global Goods and other Project Directors to provide architectural input and oversight of work, quality and technical direction of active awards within the CoDE portfolio.
Responsibilities will be reflective of evolving needs, and may include:
- Provide oversight of assigned global goods awards including technical review of proposed scopes and deliverables, design and oversee quality assurance of global good investments, and support donor and external communications as they relate to global goods
- Communicate, coordinate and negotiate with internal and external partners, donors and stakeholders on technical recommendations to global goods platforms and appropriate use of global goods, such as those being invested in by Digital Square
- Support to the Deputy Director to engage with investors in global goods, explain what they are, and advocate for how they can be used
- Be an active member of designated open source communities and contribute towards the advancement of the global goods and communities.
Architectural and Technical Leadership
- Provide architectural input and design council to external stakeholders and internal teams as it relates to interoperable health information systems in the public sector.
- Recommend and help teams align the appropriate use of standards and architectures in projects (e.g. OpenHIE, HL7 FHIR, IHE profiles etc) as well as assist in drafting and developing new profiles as projects require.
- Represent CoDE as a technical leader to external stakeholders at technical meetings, conferences and workshops
- Support the CoDE program through, on occasion, providing technical quality assurance on deliverables, policy documents, and the creation of global standard documents. This may extend to technical reviews, desk review validation, documentation validation and or validating software development deliverables
Country Implementations and Regional Networks
- Provide technical support to nominated country programs in the review and implementation activities, with a focus on architecture and health information system design and implementation.
- Supervise and/or advise Digital Square team on best practices for country implementation projects as they relate to the technical and programmatic work products
- Provide technical oversight and/or management of engagements and support to regional networks, including directing capacity-building hack-a-thons and training workshops
- Support the broader Digital Square team with development of concept notes and technical approaches for new buy-ins for both new and existing donors
- Be an active and engage technical team member and support the growth of internal teams as well as the implementers.