Reports to: Deputy Director
Hours: 34 hours per week, Tuesday-Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm (4-day workweek pilot: January-June 2024)
Work Location: Portland, OR
Salary: $60,000 - $65,000 annual
Status: Exempt; Full-Time
Benefits: 100% Employer Paid Insurance, Paid Time Off, retirement (see benefits for more detail)
You are an excellent communicator and adept project manager that can manage competing priorities and deadlines while maintaining high levels of sensitivity and confidentiality.
You bring a creative and empathetic approach to problem-solving, thriving in a diverse, equity-focused work environment. You have the ability to and enjoy working collaboratively with the leadership team, recommending staff training, engaging in teamwork, and identifying morale-building opportunities. Utilizing your HR background within a nonprofit is where you see yourself also making a difference in the community.
About Community Warehouse:
Community Warehouse (CW) is a nonprofit furniture bank that redistributes donated furniture and household goods to neighbors in need. Through three locations (Portland,Tualatin and Gresham) and referrals from over 200 partner agencies, Community Warehouse helps families and individuals turn their empty housing into comfy homes. Clients visit our furniture banks to pick out essential household items that help improve their quality of life at home. We also operate two Estate Stores that sell donated items to support our mission and engage the community in shopping for a cause.
This is a unique opportunity to work alongside fun, dedicated, caring staff and volunteers for an outstanding nonprofit in the Portland area. Learn more about our mission and services in this 2-minute video! Community Warehouse has been rated one of the 100 Best Nonprofits to Work for in Oregon by Oregon Business Magazine for the past 5 years running.
The Human Resources Manager is a pivotal figure in shaping our workplace culture and driving organizational success. As a key partner to the Deputy Director and the Directors Team, this role demands a blend of strategic insight and hands-on execution in various HR functions.
In this role, the HR Manager will be responsible for a broad spectrum of HR activities, including employee onboarding, training, annual review implementations, separations, and benefits enrollment and maintenance. The position will also play a critical role in updating and developing HR and DEI policies, ensuring compliance with all HR laws and regulations, and contributing to the overall strategic goals of the HR department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
HR Policy Development & Implementation
- Contribute to the development of the HR department's goals, objectives, and systems
- Update and develop HR and DEI policies
- Foster an inclusive and supportive work environment
- Ensure smooth operation of HR-related activities and compliance with all HR laws and policies
Personnel & Benefits Administration
- Manage benefits enrollment and maintenance, including health, dental, life insurance, and simple IRA
- Support alongside hiring managers the employee onboarding and separation process
- Maintain confidential personnel files in accordance with state and federal laws
Compensation & Performance
- Oversee employee annual reviews
- Participate in performance evaluations as directed by the Deputy Director
- Collaborate with the Directors Team to review compensation practices and salary ranges
Recruitment & Employee Engagement
- Work with hiring managers, and in accordance with Community Warehouse policies, participates on hiring committees (potentially including screening and exit interviews), conducting reference checks, background checks, etc.
- Actively participate in staff meetings
- Support leadership team by recommending staff training, teamwork, and morale building opportunities
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
Community Warehouse is open to a variety of qualifications through lived and learned experience.
- 3+ years experience as a Human Resources Generalist or equivalent experience managing components of this position’s responsibilities: hiring, benefits administration, performance management, compensation and wage structure, and employment law
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately manage highly confidential information
- Demonstrated communication experience through effective collaboration and engagement with staff at all levels
- Experience with conflict resolution and/or mediation, including negotiation skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong understanding of, and ability to conduct, human resource work through a DEI lens
- Experience and ability of Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite as well as, the ability to leverage technology to enhance HR processes and efficiency
- Experience and ability working independently AND as a member of a team
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods
- Lifting between 1-25 lbs
*Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform theessential functions.
Additional Desired Skills & Abilities:
- Professional credentials in Human Resources and/or a BA/BS degree in a related field preferred but not required
- Ability to craft thoughtful storytelling content
- Commitment to the mission and values of Community Warehouse
Insurance benefits will begin after the probationary period is over; on the first of the month following 30 days of hire date. Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) begin on the date of hire.
- Employer matches up to 3% in SIMPLE IRA
- Life insurance
- Employer Assistance Programs: access to financial and legal advice through BPA Health
- 4 weeks PTO effective on start date
- 5 holidays and 7 floating holidays
- One month paid sabbatical at 5-year tenure (in addition to PTO)
- Training and professional development opportunities
- A culture of self-care and life balance
Nonprofit Professionals Now (NPN) is pleased to be working with Community Warehouse in the effort to fill this key role.
All applications must contain a resume, statement of interest, and completed screening questions. All submitted materials are reviewed by NPN staff and considered as part of the hiring process.
Application Deadline: March 4, 2024
***Community Warehouse maintains a Non-discrimination Policy. As an equal Opportunity employer, we will not discriminate on the basis of race, color or religion; sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression; disability; marital status; citizenship or nation or origin; or veteran status. We maintain this Policy of Non-Discrimination with respect to recruitment and hiring, promotion and compensation, and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment. We are dedicated to the development of a diverse workplace and, as such, we strongly encourage those who may contribute to this diversity to apply.***
Compensation $60,000 - $65,000 annual
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2024
Job # 194