Executive Director - Africa Bridge www.africabridge.org
Africa Bridge is a unique grassroots organization that creates sustainable change in Tanzanian communities with a small but nimble US office and a passionate team in Tukuyu. Our next executive director leads a rare work environment in which strategic decisions and actions can immediately impact people, program, and operations. Our executive director will also engage with committed donors and a supportive board of directors.
Africa Bridge assists vulnerable children and their caregivers in rural Tanzania. We pair short-term startup capital with extensive training to help families caring for vulnerable children overcome dire poverty. Our five-year program of sustainable development partners with villagers to identify the most vulnerable children and develop care plans for them, establish farm co-ops to produce household income and nutrition, and deliver microcredit and training that helps the entire community. We also support children’s schooling and health care education.
This sustainable development model builds community self-sufficiency, economic independence and lasting change. To date, Africa Bridge has helped create a brighter future for 37 villages and more than 8,500 vulnerable children in Tanzania.
Become our Executive Director in the US in charge of all operations and be responsible for:
• Strategic Planning – Work with the Africa Bridge Board of Directors to develop, update, and implement Africa Bridge’s strategic plan.
• Fundraising – Develop and implement revenue plans, generate new large individual and foundation donors, steward existing donors toward increased/sustained giving, recruit to and manage the five-year giving program, and organize fundraising and donor appreciation events.
• Programs and Finance – Oversee Tanzanian Program operations and all finances, including Tanzanian program strategy, implementation and enhancements, impact monitoring and evaluation, foundation reporting, budget preparation, and financial management.
• Communications – Represent Africa Bridge to foundations, donors, and community organizations; oversee implementation of marketing and communications plans to promote Africa Bridge; and ensure marketing materials are up-to-date and used by staff, volunteers, and Board Members.
• Staff Management – Ensure systems, procedures and policies are being followed in the US and Tanzania; manage, motivate and retain staff and volunteers; conduct annual staff performance reviews; and maintain positive team-oriented environment.
• Proven track record in nonprofit fundraising from individuals and foundations.
• Strong leadership, management, and budgeting skills.
• Solid understanding of nonprofit accounting and how to analyze financial statements.
• Goal-driven and action-oriented mindset, with flexibility to get hands-on in pursuing new ideas and creative problem-solving.
• Quick to respond to funders and adapt to the various requirements Africa Bridge encounters, and be able rapidly to switch strategies when needed.
• Ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with Africa Bridge’s Board and partners.
• Poised and persuasive spokesperson with excellent oral, written, and digital communication skills.
• Appreciation of Tanzanian culture and ability to establish cross-cultural relationships. Experience with an NGO operating in African or other developing countries is preferred.
• Interest in and ability to visit Tanzania and participate in program delivery. Demonstrated passion for and commitment to Africa Bridge’s mission.
Experience and Education
• A bachelor’s degree, preferably in business management, international studies, or other relevant discipline is required. A master’s degree in a relevant discipline is preferred.
• At least five years of experience with increasing responsibility in business or NGO management, including three years of relevant experience in a 501 (c) 3 non-profit or NGO. At least one year of work abroad for a NGO is preferred.
• Successful, proven track record of at least three years in fundraising. A Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential is desirable.
Africa Bridge empowers Tanzanian families to protect, support and care for vulnerable children by helping villages implement sustainable social service and economic solutions. Help us build the future and be the bridge to prosperity for our families in Tanzania!
Please submit your resume and letter of interest by January 12. If you have any questions, please contact John Worcester by email at email@example.com or at 503 985 9551.
Salary Depending on Qualifications.