This is full performance level work in the repair and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities. Industrial Maintenance Millwrights are responsible for the inspection, adjustment, installation, repair, and preventive/predictive maintenance of wastewater treatment equipment and structures (including pumps, valves, pipe systems, boilers, heat exchangers, blowers, clarifier and screen house systems, solids handling, chlorination equipment and related structures). Employees of this class perform work with considerable independence. Work is reviewed by a supervisor through on-site inspection for proper completion and/or review of completed work orders. Successful candidates will have completed a 4-year apprenticeship program as Industrial Maintenance Millwright or possess demonstrated equivalent skills and experience.
This position is represented by Laborers’ Local 483 collective bargaining agreement, view the agreement at https://www.portland.gov/bhr/employee-relations/labor-relations/labor-agreements .
City of Portland Core Values: Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in all people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here.
COVID-19 Vaccine RequirementApplicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and resume how their education, training, work experience and/or lived experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
As of October 18, 2021, all City employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This is required for all positions at the City of Portland. Proof of being fully vaccinated is required by date of hire. You may request an exception, for health or religious reasons, from getting the COVID-19 vaccine at the time a position is offered.
Many positions within the City are designated as hybrid and currently the City requires you to work in-person one day per week. Beginning in April 2023, most hybrid employees will be expected to perform at least half of their work in-person.
Applicants must also possess:
- Knowledge of fluid dynamics, hydraulic and pneumatic systems; and steam systems.
- Experience welding and cutting structural steel; basic metal fabrication; pipefitting and layout; machine layout, blueprint reading, machinery erection, mechanics and mechanisms, and power transmission; mechanical piping systems, tubing and plumbing.
- Ability and experience in performing precision alignment of equipment.
- Ability and experience operating precision hand tools, power tools, precision measurement tools, and basic machine tools.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate. If unvaccinated, exception process must be completed by date of hire. Exception guidelines/process can be accessed here: Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine
- A valid state's driver's license and acceptable driving record at time of hire.
- Have a journeyman certificate at time of application (if you do not currently posses the certification, please refer to the Recruitment Process for requirement and instruction for the Industrial Maintenance Millwright test.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and supplemental questions are weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection. Additional evaluation for required certifications may be required prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
Candidates passing the cover letter and resume review must meet one or the other of the following to be placed on the equally ranked eligible list:
Have their Journeyman Certificate at the time of application.
Receive a passing score of 70% or higher on the Industrial Maintenance Millwright standards test at Mount Hood Community College (MHCC).
Candidates being invited to test will be notified via email with instructions on how to participate.
Those candidates that pass the evaluation and have their Journeyman's certificate or receive a passing score of 70% or higher on the MHCC test, weighted 100%, will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection. After acceptance of a conditional job offer candidates must also successfully pass a physical capacities test.
**PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
- Job Posting closes: 2/6/2023
- Applications Reviewed: week of 11/30/2022, 12/12/2022, 1/3/2023, 1/17/2023, 1/30/23, 2/13/23
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 12/6, 12/19/22, 1/9/23, 1/23/2023, 2/6/23, 2/20/23
- Interviews: Dec/Jan/Feb 2023
- Job Offer: January/February
This is an open continuous recruitment: Open Continuous recruitments have multiple review periods and can be opened for up to 6 months.
- If you apply and are notified you meet minimum qualifications/placed on the eligible list, please do not reapply. Any applications received after being placed on the eligible list will not be reviewed and will be rejected as a duplicate application.
- If you apply and are notified you do not meet qualifications and the recruitment is still open, you may reapply and update your materials.
Application InstructionsApplicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training, certification and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications and ability to meet the minimum requirements listed in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the cover letter.
- If you are requesting Veterans’ Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- Do not attach documents not requested.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a “language pay differential.” This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/events.Contact Information:
Bureau of Human Resources
Karen Ehn, Senior Recruiter
An Equal Opportunity Employer