Position: Donation Pick Up Driver (Portland Area)
Department: ReStore - Development
Reports to: Logistics & Fleet Manager
Status: full-time; non-exempt
Compensation: $15.52/hour to $18.34/hour; See Starting Salary Expectations section below.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region revitalizes neighborhoods, builds affordable and sustainable homes, and empowers families through successful homeownership. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global home building movement and top private home builder in the country. By providing affordable housing, home repairs, skilled construction training, financial education, and volunteer opportunities, the organization has transformed millions of lives, helped stabilize communities and fostered economic vitality in the region. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to reach their full potential, and that starts with a stable and healthy place to call home.
We are intentional about building a healthy and thriving organizational culture and envision a community of staff, partners, volunteers, and donors who are deeply committed to equitable and anti-racist practices in every facet of our organization. We engage in continual learning and seek ways to operationalize equitable practices. Our Equity Statement and Cultural Compact are living, breathing documents that we continually work toward.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region operates out of two offices (Hillsboro and NE Portland), four brick and mortar stores (Beaverton, Gresham, Portland, and Vancouver), one warehouse (NE Portland), and a number of construction sites (varies). Please visit our website and social media pages to learn more.
Note to Candidates:
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications as described.
The Donation Pick Up Driver performs residential and business pick-ups of donated items that will be sold in our stores. This driver will be Portland based, with service area routing in and around Portland and the NE Portland warehouse. Responsibilities include following route work orders, understanding donation acceptance criteria, vehicle inspection, and being a model representative of Habitat for Humanity and the ReStores. Drivers are expected to perform all work safely, efficiently, and effectively, and to use polite and respectful communication with staff, volunteers, donors, and customers.
- Drive a box truck in a safe, law abiding manner, and in accordance with organization policies
- Prepare for each work day utilizing the Truck Safety Checklist and reviewing daily route work orders
- Load and unload donated items safely
- Ensure every donation meets current donation criteria and provide properly completed donation receipts
- Communicate with donors politely and respectfully, including declining items that do not meet donation criteria, changes to scheduled pick up time, and gratitude for their generosity
- Accept and document fees collected in accordance with organization policies
- Report concerns or issues with donors or volunteers as they arise
- Monitor vehicle maintenance and report any issues or potential problems to the manager
- Assist ReStore staff with unloading trucks and other tasks as time permits
- Assist with new driver and volunteer training
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is committed to the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, and the broader community. Starting January 4, 2022, all employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, or will be required to undergo weekly Covid-19 testing as a condition of employment. Medical and/or religious accommodations may apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Competent use of box trucks, GPS, phone systems, and warehouse equipment
- Ability to safely use equipment to maneuver large loads
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds on an ongoing basis
- Knowledge of appropriate attire and neat appearance for work environment
- Skill in working in a team with staff and volunteers, following the lead and direction of leadership
- Communication skills for sharing Habitat’s and ReStore’s mission and purpose, and interacting effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and varied languages
- Time management skills, including timely arrival for shifts, taking appropriate breaks, and accuracy in reporting hours
- Knowledge of, as well as the desire and ability to teach, safety requirements
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment
- Valid driver’s license
- Meet Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles regulations
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Any qualifying combination of education, certification, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Experience volunteering and/or managing volunteers
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- This job operates in an open, warehouse retail environment and on both urban and rural streets
- This position is very active and requires and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, climbing, and lifting throughout the entire workday
- This employee must frequently lift, move, and/or load items over 50 pounds with mechanical assistance and/or a team lift
- 40 hours a week, includes weekends
Starting Salary Expectations:
Minimum $15.52/hour to wage range midpoint of $18.34/hour. Placement will generally not exceed the midpoint based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. The full wage range is $15.52/hour to $21.15/hour.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Health insurance (medical, vision, alternative care, prescription)
- Health reimbursement arrangement (HRA)
- Dental insurance
- Generous paid time off
- 3% matching 403(b) retirement plan
- Flexible spending accounts
- Short-term & long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee assistance program
- And more!
How to Apply:
Submit the following materials at: https://tinyurl.com/habpdxjobs
- Cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position.
- Three professional references
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.