Are you a HR professional that loves local and tasty treats? Then this might be the job for you! We're looking for a dynamic HR professional to join our very first store, Raleigh Hills!
Position Title: HR Assistant Manager
Department: Human Resources
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Staff Resource Manager
Region: Oregon/SW Washington
Position Description: Provides support to store staff in all HR functional areas. Serves as a resource to store leadership to create a healthy atmosphere where all staff can thrive, feel valued, experience job satisfaction, and have opportunities to grow their careers. Provides leadership in line with company values and promotes a positive and progressive work environment.
- Understands, models and instills company culture. Communicates a clear vision. Influences, motivates and inspires others. Builds community within and outside of New Seasons Market.
- Models good citizenship through respectful and effective communication in line with company values. Demonstrates a whole store and whole company perspective through positive leadership and role modeling.
- Embraces and guides others through change and continuous improvement.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
- Communication style is confident, informative and effective, utilizing varied methods and active listening skills.
- Understands group dynamics in order to foster a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Bases decisions on analysis, experience, resources and circumstances. Prioritizes and acts decisively under pressure.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds positively to feedback.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of departments and store.
- Observes all store rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook, Operations Manual, and any other official NSM document or manual.
- Speaks up. Shares ideas and feedback that contribute to the success of the store and company.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by training, modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Customer Service Responsibilities
- Delivers exceptional service and demonstrates friendly and attentive behaviors with internal and external customers.
- Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Adapts service based on customer needs, handles difficult customer situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer.
- Engages internal and external customers in a friendly manner, shares information, assists in locating resources, and seeks opportunities to enhance the customer experience.
Staff Relations, Communication and Team Performance
- Establishes a professional relationship with each staff member in the store.
- Assists staff with questions and directs to appropriate resources. Responds to staff issues and conducts workplace investigations.
- Engages with store leaders in preparing and delivering corrective action including terminations.
- Ensures application of HR policies and procedures are consistent.
- Conducts surveys.
- Coaches store leaders on approaches to motivating and challenging their teams, to ensure high staff performance, engagement and accountability. Mentors managers on team development, individual performance and building capacity for mutual growth.
- Works with store leadership team to ensure staff member performance reviews are well-written, delivered effectively and delivered timely.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality and discretion.
- Works to build community among staff, and with department managers.
- Works collaboratively to maintain a harmonious work environment and resolve staff complaints and other workplace issues. Communicates in a professional and constructive manner.
- Consults with department managers on recruitment need and strategy.
- Posts job openings on applicant tracking system and coordinates additional job board needs.
- Screens resumes, prescreens applicants and proactively builds a pipeline of qualified candidates for entry-level through department manager positions.
- Maintains electronic copies of requisition documentation.
- Coaches hiring managers on interview and selection process.
- Works with store leadership to encourage diversity. Ensures fair hiring practices and encourages diversity of workforce through sourcing and influencing.
- Coordinates and participates in job fairs.
Training and Development
- Communicates company culture and policies by facilitating company and store orientations.
- Conducts training programs as needed to help staff develop.
- Assists managers in activities to develop staff. Assists store leadership to help staff members plan their careers. Assists with cross-training initiatives and enrollment in Supervisory Series classes.
Benefits and Leaves
- Facilitates benefits orientations and coordinates the open enrollment process. Collects paperwork, completes data entry for enrollments, changes, terminations and answers staff benefit questions.
- Assists staff members and their managers with the leaves process (FMLA, Military, Personal, etc.).
- Ensures Staff Accident Reports, 801s and additional documentation are sent to SAIF Corp. and Claims Manager and that they are on time, accurate and complete.
- Follows up with staff on claims, including managing Modified Duty assignments and Return to Work.
- Completes EAIPs to offset the cost of Modified Duty assignments.
- Ensures OSHA 300 logs are accurate and up to date.
- Participates actively in the maintenance and enrichment of a workplace safety culture.
HR/Payroll Administration and Support
- Audits new hire paperwork and accurately completes new hire data entry.
- Uses Kronos to edit timecards and ensure accuracy in payroll. Reviews, researches and adjusts time clock edits in Kronos WTK and enters time off requests. Maintains performance and wage review dates.
- Assists with, processes, copies and files staff paperwork including Personnel Action Forms, Corrective Actions and Termination documents. Sends required paperwork to Store Support office.
- Represents store regarding unemployment insurance claims, including hearings.
- Reads and understands HR emails and updates. Maintains awareness of current HR projects. Communicates with staff to ensure critical HR and company information is shared.
- Notifies a member of the store leadership team or Staff Resource Manager of any situations relating to quality, safety, productivity, security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on the operation.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Performs janitorial tasks in compliance with sanitation standards established by NSM policy and state and local health departments. Contributes to store and office cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment, informs store/department management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: computer, copier, projector and office equipment
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
- 3+ years of HR experience or equivalent experience required. Experience in a retail environment preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or Business Administration preferred.
- Proficiency in multiple languages a plus.
- Basic to intermediate math and computation skills.
- Intermediate to advanced computer proficiency required, including Excel. Experience with timekeeping, HRIS and applicant tracking system software preferred.
- Comfortable with public speaking and group presentations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal, state and local employment labor laws.
- Skills to manage difficult staff interactions required. Employee relations experience required.
- Skills to engage and work with a diverse workforce.
- Skills to plan, prioritize and manage multiple priorities.
- Skills to work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Skills to train, coach and hold staff accountable.
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills. Demonstrated ability to influence others without the benefit of authority.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
- Skills to retain training information and utilize resources in daily work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion around sensitive information.
- Ability to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the store.
- Light work level
- Continuously required to sit/stand at computer. Occasionally required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift.
- Continuously required to: use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 1-20 pounds; push/pull 1-20 pounds; bend/stoop; twist; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Seldom required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; crouch/squat; kneel
- Frequency of climbing stairs dependent on location.
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts,
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements & conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.