This is an open continuous opportunity that will remain open for three (3) or more months. The next review period will include any application received until Monday September 4, 2023.
Interested in supporting Portland and its development?
Are you seeking to work on a variety of different, interesting smaller and larger projects, including leading-edge building designs?
Do you find value in career opportunities that provide work-life balance?
You may be the Commercial Plans Examiner we are looking for!
The Bureau of Development Services is actively recruiting to fill multiple Commercial Plans Examiner vacancies.
About the position: This position reviews plans of all building types, for compliance with State building codes and other applicable city and state regulations. Duties include advising design professionals, owners, and builders of minimum code requirements during all phases of design, identifying possible solutions, working with city inter-agency partners, and helping guide applicants through the building permit process as smoothly as possible towards their goals.
Commercial Plans Examiners can effectively communicate in person and in writing to a diversity of customers with wide ranges of technical expertise. This position carries out individual responsibilities with initiative, independence and creativity while exercising sound professional judgment and problem-solving skills. This position will also meet the bureau's expectations of providing excellent customer service in an equitable manner to meet the growing needs of the City of Portland's diverse community. Bi-lingual/Bi-cultural candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note: This classification is represented by the District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU). To view this labor agreement, please click here.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in all people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, healthcare flexible and/or dependent care spending accounts, fertility counseling and resources, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), including contributions to the PERS IAP plan paid by employer. For more information on the City of Portland's benefits, please click here.
Work LocationThe City is offering an optional information meeting for this recruitment. Please see the Additional Information section below for details.
Many positions within the City are designated as hybrid, most hybrid employees will be expected to perform at least half of their work in-person. City Council approved a human resources administrative rule in January 2023, HRAR – 4.045, requiring employees, including those who are fully remote and hybrid, to perform work within Oregon or Washington. For more information, click here.
To qualify the candidate will possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Experience reading, interpreting, and applying Oregon Specialty Codes.
- Experience reading and interpreting site, architectural and structural plans.
- Experience explaining technical information and code requirements verbally, in writing, and by graphic means.
- Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and resolving issues with a diverse population having a wide range of experience and expertise such as employees, applicants, builders, designers, and the public.
Applicants must also possess
If you have questions about the above required Oregon certifications, visit the State of Oregon Building Code Division Inspector Certification Pathways website,
- An Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC) within 60 days after date of hire.
- A Structural Plans Examiner – A-level (PEA) Certification by the date of hire.
- An Oregon Residential Plans Examiner (CAX) Certification by the date of hire.
- An Oregon Fire and Life Safety Plans Examiner (PEF) Certification by the date of hire.
https://www.oregon.gov/bcd/inspector-certs/Pages/certs.aspx or call (503)378-4133 or email email@example.com.
Note that these certifications are typically converted from the national standard ICC Certifications (F3 and B3 or R3). See this website for additional information: https://www.iccsafe.org/professional-development/assessment-center/
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
**PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
This is an open continuous recruitment: Open Continuous recruitments have multiple review periods and can be opened for up to 6 months.
- Job Posting closes: 12/1/23
- 1st Application Review: week of 6/12/2023
- Subsequent reviews will occur approximately every two weeks until 12/1/2023
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 6/19/2023, additional eligible lists will be issued when qualifying applicants are identified.
- Selection/Interview process: Late June to Early July, then as additional candidates are available.
- Job Offer: Periodically as candidates are identified starting in June
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
- If you apply and are notified you meet minimum qualifications/placed on the eligible list, please do not reapply. Any applications received after being placed on the eligible list will not be reviewed and will be rejected as a duplicate application.
- If you apply and are notified you do not meet qualifications and the recruitment is still open, you may reapply and update your materials.
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your responses to the supplemental questions and résumé will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis: Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a “language pay differential.” This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement or you are invited to attend the Question and Answers session. If you prefer to attend a virtual class, they are also available once a month.Questions?/Contact
Tami Larison, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
OPTIONAL INFORMATION SESSIONS
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer an Optional Information Sessions that will provide you with details about the position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job. You are welcome to join us for the optional session below:
Info Session dates: Tuesday, June 6, 2023
Info Session Time: 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm
Register in advance for this meeting:
OrRegister in advance for this meeting:
Info Session dates : Thursday, July 13, 2023
Info Session Time : 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm