Full Time, Full Benefits
Job Req: 1290
Milieu Counselors provide support to adolescents (ages 15-17 years old) in a co-ed behavioral health residential facility setting. Milieu Counselors mentor youth and teach them vocational and daily living skills. Milieu Counselor are positive role models for the youth in program. This position will work out of a residential facility.
We’re looking for team players who value culturally sensitivity. Must possess the ability to maintain composure and professional boundaries in chaotic situations, while simultaneously building rapport with teenage youth.
****We’re committed to providing quality services in a culturally competent manner. Due to program needs, the ideal candidate will be bilingual (Spanish and English) to ensure effective communication with youth in our care. ****
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively monitor the youth to ensure the safety of all participants in the milieu setting
- Promote skill building for the youth
- Plan activities, assist with schoolwork and extra-curricular activities, and maintain a supportive environment for youth
- Provide transportation to youth to attend scheduled appointments using agency vehicle
- Assemble and serving nutritious meals; and administer medication to youth if needed
- Effectively diffuse or de-escalate potentially volatile situations using behavior management techniques
- Education and Work Experience:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- At least 21 years of age
- High School Diploma
- Bilingual – able to communicate effectively in Spanish and English
- Minimum of 1 year employment experience working with children and/or adolescents in a social service setting
- Basic computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, databases and Outlook
- Valued, but Not Required Experience:
- Residential experience
- Knowledge of adolescent developmental issues, trauma, abuse and neglect, substance abuse and dependence, delinquency, peer influence, and related group and individual interventions.
- Other Requirements:
- Pass a DHS criminal history background
- Must be able to remain awake for scheduled shifts
- Meet agency driving requirement
- Ability to pass a verbal Spanish language test; applies only to those who would like to receive bilingual pay differential
- Schedule Options:
- Overnight Shift: Thursday - Sunday 9:30pm – 8:00am
- Swing Shift: Sunday – Wednesday 1:00pm – 11:30pm
- Swing Shift: Wednesday – Saturday 1:00pm – 11:30pm
- Morning Shift: Sunday – Thursday 7:00am – 3:30pm
- Morning Shift: Thursday – Monday 7:00am – 3:30pm
OnCall/Relief positions also available!
Starting Pay Rate:
Bilingual (Spanish) Milieu Counselor: $15.26 – $16.23
$1/hr for swing shift differential! Applies to hours worked after 1:00pm
***must work at least five hours after 1:00pm time-frame to receive differential.
$1/hr for overnight shift differential! Applies to hours worked between 11:30pm-7:00am
***must work at least three hours during 11:30pm-7:00pm, time-frame to receive differential
- Why join us?
- We value career growth – Milieu Counselors have access to several trainings and supportive supervisors who are willing to mentor team members so they can achieve their potential and transition into other roles within the program!
- Benefits and Perks– Extensive benefit package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. Company provided Life and Long-Term Disability. Paid vacation and sick time. Transportation stipend for employees working at our downtown location.
- We make a difference in our community – At Morrison we provide a comprehensive continuum of mental health, substance abuse and prevention and education services for youth, from birth through age 21. We work with families and communities to make a difference in every child’s life.
Morrison Child and Family Services is a non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive array of services to children, adolescents, and their families. As an agency Morrison, its team members, and clients commit to the following values of trauma-informed care:
- Nonviolence - being safe and doing the right thing
- Emotional Intelligence - managing our feelings so we don’t hurt ourselves or others
- Social Learning - respecting and sharing ideas of our teams
- Democracy - shared decision making whenever possible
- Open Communication - saying what we mean and not being mean when we say it
- Social Responsibility - everyone makes a contribution to the organizational culture
- Growth and Change - creating hope for our clients and ourselves
- Equity - Assuring all can survive and thrive
Visit our website to learn more about mission and history and our strategy for accomplishing our goal of achieving significant, positive, and long-term clinical outcomes for the clients we serve.
At Morrison we celebrate diversity. Through our commitment to equity and inclusion, we support our communities to move beyond disparity and oppression and work with compassion, integrity, and dedication to social justice through the implementation of goals and policies. We strive to create an inclusive and anti-racist organization by ensuring that racial identity will not determine or predict the quality of trauma-informed care a child receives; to that effect, we’re looking for candidates who can provide culturally-appropriate care or possess the ability to hold each other and yourself accountable to the diversity and uniqueness of all individuals within Morrison, our clients and our community stakeholders.
External Candidate Process: Click here to apply:
If viewing job in posting without enable links, please visit:
*** Simply upload your resume and respond to 4 multiple choice questions!***
Internal Candidate Process: Current Morrison employees, please visit our Internal Career Center by logging in Workforce Now ADP and following this path: Myself > Talent > Career Center > Milieu Counselor (Bilingual) – Group Home
Not the right fit, or not yet ready to apply?
Join our Talent Community! We will keep you updated on positions that fit your skill set and interest!
To be considered for this position you must follow this application procedure.
Position Open Until Enough Qualified Applicants Have Responded
We strive to Create a Diverse, Inclusive environment to Better Serve our Clients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.