For over 160 years, the University of Washington has been a hub for learning, innovation, problem solving and community building. Supporting this legacy and important public mission—with the goal of making the UW the world’s greatest public university, as measured by positive impact—guides everything we do in University Advancement . Bringing together development; alumni and stakeholder engagement; marketing and communications; and advancement operations, we advance the UW’s impact by developing meaningful connections that foster pride, advocacy and philanthropic support.
The mission of Alumni & Stakeholder Engagement is to facilitate impactful, broad-based engagement that builds a passionate community of alumni, donors, and friends and galvanizes support for the University. This starts with creating a culture of belonging within our organization that values the diverse experiences and expertise of our team members, allowing everyone to thrive and to contribute their unique talents as we strive to achieve our shared goals.
Alumni & Stakeholder Engagement has an exciting opening for an Associate Director for Business Development. This is a full-time permanent position.
The Associate Director for Business Development (ADBD) is responsible for assisting with business-related resource and revenue generation programs along with initiatives in support of the UW Alumni Association (UWAA) and UW Retirement Association (UWRA). This program includes sponsorship, business development, advertising and other forms of real and in-kind resource generation and retention. This position helps direct the acquisition, management and retention of key corporate and community partnerships and sponsorships. The ADBD helps devise and implement strategy, budget and assessment for their department.
The ADBD will help identify, cultivate, solicit and steward external strategic relationships and partnerships to generate revenue, manage operating expenses, and enhance the UWAA/UWRA and UW brands. The ADBD is a key internal collaborator with excellent project management skills to support the resource development initiatives of the organization and the department as it functions within the marketing/communications and programmatic engagement spaces.
The ADBD reports to the Director for Resource Development and works with central partners across campus. Additionally, they coordinate with UA Finance staff and work with the UWAA Finance Director to support the resource development team by managing administrative duties and assignments.
What You Will Do:
Partner and Sponsor Management (50%)
• Develop and manage the sponsorship marketing and promotional schedule. Plan and coordinate all partnership efforts, including the creation of materials and ensuring all requirements and deadlines are met.
• Manage the design, proofing, routing and approval process for all communications and signage with appropriate stakeholders.
• Develop a deep understanding of partners’ brands, goals and sponsorship objectives to ensure all contracted sponsorship elements, programs and assets are activated, delivered and aligned in support of the University’s mission.
Resource Development and Team Support (25%)
• Plan, develop and execute sponsorship events in partnership with UWAA colleagues. Provide on-site event support for sponsorship activation, as needed.
• Assist with cultivating and acquiring new event and program sponsors, including the production and negotiation of sponsorship proposals under the guidance of the UWAA Associate Director for Sponsorship & Business Development.
• Track and analyze audience and marketing data to identify revenue opportunities and present them to leadership.
Business Administration and other duties as assigned (25%)
• Process payments through Advancement finance and administration (F&A) and provide support, information or documentation as necessary to support annual audits or F&A inquiries.
• Track incoming and outgoing payments, including in-kind transactions.
• Assist with budget models and annual budgeting duties.
Bachelor's degree and five years of experience in sponsorship/marketing/sales or related field.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
What You Bring:
• Project management experience.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong organizational skill set.
• Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office suite for correspondence, special reports, spreadsheets, databases, forms, etc.
• Experience with data analysis and market trends.
What You Can Expect:
• You will work with an open-minded and inclusive team that values diversity.
• Cubicle/open workspace environment may result in additional or higher noise levels and visual distractions.
• Workload and times may vary, including occasional evenings or weekends.
• Able to travel out-of-state up to six times per year for events scheduled on evenings, weekends and potentially on or near holidays.
• A valid Washington State driver’s license is required to operate the UW Alumni Association van.
• Ability to lift 20 pounds regularly and up to 40 pounds occasionally for event setup and tear down.