Position: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Communications Manager
Compensation: $20.43/hour to $24.90/hour; See Starting Salary Expectations section below.
Closing Date: Until filled
Are you looking for meaningful and energizing work? Consider a career at Habitat for Humanity Portland Region. As part of our engaged and passionate team, you'll help power our mission to bring people together to build and repair homes while advancing racial equity in housing. You would join a workplace that is inclusive, innovative, and supportive. Join our team by applying today!
At Habitat for Humanity, we believe that everyone deserves a stable and affordable place to call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. Founded in 1981, we are invested in creating a region where everyone has the opportunity to build a better life. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global home building movement and top private home builder in the country.
We are intentional about building a healthy and thriving organizational culture and envision a community of staff, partners, volunteers, and donors who are deeply committed to equitable and anti-racist practices in every facet of our organization. We engage in continual learning and seek ways to operationalize equitable practices. Our Equity Statement and Cultural Compact are living, breathing documents that we continually work toward.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region operates out of two offices (Hillsboro and NE Portland), three brick and mortar stores (Beaverton, Gresham and Portland), one warehouse (NE Portland), and construction sites in east and west Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro, King City, Gresham, and Lake Oswego. Please visit our website and social media pages to learn more.
Note to Candidates:
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We recognize that requirements for educational and experience minimums create unnecessary barriers for under-served populations in pursuing employment opportunities in which they may be successful. In considering this alongside our Equity practices, we have removed educational and experience minimum requirements in order to focus on candidates’ abilities to excel based on the responsibilities of the position. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team of committed professionals. We are looking for an experienced writer skilled in interviewing, researching, and writing compelling copy for blogs, social media, event promotions, and emails. Telling stories about our work is the foundation of our fundraising and friend-raising strategies. This position will be responsible for managing Habitat for Humanity’s social media sites and editorial calendar.
- Develop and write compelling social media content utilizing the following platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, blog, and e-newsletter. Develop the strategy and update the editorial calendar.
- Monitor trends in social media and gather and report on analytics data.
- Stay current on local, affordable housing news. Follow and engage with key influencers on social media.
- Work with communications team to write copy for monthly e-newsletters.
- Develop and implement social media plans for live and virtual events, including video.
- Support the online advertising campaign through the creation of social media ads.
- Ensure Habitat’s messaging follows current Habitat brand guidelines.
- Collaborate and manage volunteer videographers, storytellers, and photographers to expand our social media storytelling efforts.
- This position will occasionally require some evening and weekend work as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Exceptional writing skills and a firm grasp of the English language, grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Professional experience using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and blogs
- Curiosity and enthusiasm for storytelling
- Basic photography and editing skills
- Basic videography and editing skills
- Experience with Microsoft Word
- Regular, monthly visits to construction sites for story, photo and video gathering
- Strong project management and organizational skills; can work independently and manage multiple deadlines
- Self-starter, motivated, and creative
- Commitment to and respect for diversity, equity, and inclusion work. Utilize an equity lens when creating communications.
- Be a public supporter of Habitat for Humanity & represent the organization with positivity & consistency
- We expect candidates with 2 years of professional writing experience will be comfortable and successful in this role.
- Professional experience producing content for social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Must have reliable transportation
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Experience with Facebook Analytics, Facebook Ad Manager and WordPress
- Building relationships and working with communities of color on storytelling efforts.
- Interviewing non-English speakers with the support of interpreters
- Analyzing data in Google Analytics
- Project management software experience
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Human-paced, open, team-oriented, business casual office
- This position may be eligible for remote/hybrid work based on responsibilities, performance, and access to essential work-related resources.
- This position will have occasional local travel – typically to other Habitat locations.
OFFICE – ALT SCHED
Starting Salary Expectations:
Minimum $20.43/hour to wage range midpoint of $24.90/hour. Placement will generally not exceed the midpoint based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. The full wage range is $20.43/hour to $29.63/hour.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Health insurance (medical, vision, alternative care, prescription)
- Health reimbursement arrangement (HRA)
- Dental insurance
- Generous paid time off
- 3% matching 403(b) retirement plan
- Flexible spending accounts
- Short-term & long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee assistance program
- And more!
How to Apply:
Submit the following materials at: https://bit.ly/HABCAREERS
- Cover letter addressing how you heard about this position, and how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position
- Resume, including dates of employment
- Two storytelling writing samples of at least 500 words each.
- Links to any social media accounts that you have managed along with corresponding dates that you were responsible for updating the accounts.
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.