Starting salary range is $4,438.00 - $5,000.00 per month.
This is a full-time, exempt position working 40 hours per week.
The Vancouver Housing Authority offers a competitive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, WA PERS, life insurance, short term and long term disability.
Our mission is to provide opportunities to people who experience barriers to housing because of income, disability, or special needs in an environment that preserves personal dignity, and in a manner that maintains the public trust. In carrying out our mission, we are committed to vital neighborhoods, respect for VHA clients and employees, excellence in management and operations, cooperative and respectful working relationships with the public, neighborhood and community organizations, other units of local government, and dispersal of assisted housing throughout Clark County.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for overseeing financial reporting of various federal (HUD), state, and local grant contracts. Provides accurate and reliable financial information and analysis to internal and external users according to industry standards and VHA requirements.
- Oversees federal HUD funding compliance and reporting obligations.
- Oversees funding compliance and reporting obligations for other state and local grants.
- Submits periodic grant renewal documents and applications.
- Reconciles grant funding and applicable expenses, including funding for voucher programs HAP and administrative expenses.
- Prepares various reports and submits those to HUD or other funders as required, including monthly Section 8 VMS report.
- Prepares periodic federal (HUD), state, and local grant funding requisitions and monitors funds draw down process.
- Oversees various grant audits, reviews and other periodic grant closeout processes.
- Maintains current knowledge of HUD financial regulations and advises VHA staff on HUD funding positions.
- Uses various tools to prepare HUD funding projections.
- Participates in VHA annual audit and budgeting functions by preparing various schedules and reports related to grants and HUD funding.
- Interfaces with and advises Voucher Programs (Section 8) department of financial reporting matters.
- Liaisons with HUD financial analysis team.
- Operations, services and activities of a general accounting system.
- Principles and practices of governmental accounting.
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Principles and practices of contract administration.
- Methods and techniques of maintaining internal control systems.
- Methods and techniques of preparing financial reports and statements.
- Principles and practices of financial record keeping and reporting.
- Modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers and supporting word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local codes, laws and regulations.
- Manage complex and time-critical processes, funding requirements and relationships to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Prepare clear and concise reports and spreadsheets, including computer generated financial reports.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and current financial statements.
- Analyze and make recommendations on cash flow requirements.
- Analyze reports and financial statements.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and associated word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or related subject plus at least 2 years related experience in accounting or equivalent.
- CPA certification preferred.
- Experience in public sector, affordable housing, and/or non-profit sector preferred.
For more information on the Vancouver Housing Authority please visit our website at www.vhausa.com. Please note, those candidates deemed to best match our requirements will be contacted for an interview. We do not discuss application status during the selection process. Applications will be reviewed as they come in.
The VHA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with federal, state, and local laws.