The Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) seeks a Senior Internal Communications Representative to develop and implement communications programs for employees.
BES has more than 600 employees who operate, maintain, plan, and improve all aspects of the City’s wastewater and stormwater systems to protect public health and restore the health of Portland’s rivers, streams, and watersheds. BES is also the City’s authority on implementing many of the federal, state, and City regulations and rules that protect our rivers and streams, and contribute to a healthy natural environment for all Portlanders.
BES employees are highly motivated and dedicated to public service, and represent a diversity of professions, including wastewater operators, biologists, administrative specialists, engineers, lab technicians, community engagement representatives, and more. BES employees work in a variety of settings, including at facilities across the city, and in the field.
We are searching for a new team member who is collaborative, innovative, and excited to bring their career skills from the private, non-profit, or government sectors to an organization dedicated to effective service delivery, environmental stewardship, equity, and anti-racism.
The Senior Internal Communications Representative will:
- Partner with bureau employees to develop and implement equitable, inclusive, and effective strategic communications programs and projects that support and inform bureau employees on a variety of topics.
- Develop and manage all internal communications efforts, including bureau-wide communications, campaigns, and other employee-awareness programs and projects, across a large organization with a diverse workforce that provides a broad range of services to internal and external customers and communities.
- Develop a variety of internal communications materials, including monthly employee digital newsletter, presentations, and bureau-wide announcements
- Assist the Communications Manager in supporting the communications needs of the Director, Deputy Directors, and bureau leadership team.
- Support the bureau’s media relations programs, as needed.
- Manage a variety of concurrent projects.
Although not required, you may have the following:
- Bilingual/multilingual skills.
As a person, you are:
- Collaborative: You value partnerships and develop and support relationships to advance bureau priorities.
- Thoughtful: You listen to understand and demonstrate interpersonal acumen and sound judgment.
- Committed to the environment: You are passionate about social equity, community benefit, and environmental protection.
- Committed to equity: You are experienced in creating and maintaining an anti-racist, inclusive, respectful, and culturally responsive work environment.
About the Bureau of Environmental Services (BES)
As Portland’s wastewater and stormwater utility, BES serves more than 650,000 customers. Every resident, business, industry, and visitor relies on our services every hour of every day.Environmental Services works to protect public health, water quality, and the environment. We serve Portland by providing sewer and stormwater collection and treatment services. We help improve and protect our rivers and streams to benefit people, wildlife, and fish.
- We are re-imagining the work we do to ensure it aligns with our values.
- We implement equity in our workplace, business practices, and service delivery.
- We value our customers and partners.
- We carefully manage our watersheds, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure, and financial resources.
- We encourage leadership among our employees in our City and community.
- We support a diverse, collaborative, healthy, and engaged workforce.
- We urge respectful communication and transparency.
- We advance innovative, sustainable, and resilient solutions.
BES is seeking talented individuals from diverse racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds with knowledge, ability, and experience working with a broad range of individuals and communities; and that desire to work collaboratively and creatively to broaden the variety of innovative ways to partner with and serve all Portland communities.
To learn more about the work we do at BES, visit www.portland.gov/bes.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, and short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here.
This position's work location is 888 SW 5th Avenue, 4th Floor (Pioneer Tower). Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID. In the future, current positions classified as “full-time remote” will: 1) become a remote/onsite mix or 2) revert to full-time at a city work location.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, all City employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This is required for all positions at the City of Portland. Proof of being fully vaccinated is required by the date of hire. You may request an exception, for health or religious reasons, from getting the COVID-19 vaccine at the time a position is offered.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their cover letter and resume how their education, training, work experience, and/or lived experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Knowledge of and experience in the principles, methods, and practices applied in the design and implementation of strategic communications with a focus on internal communications.
- Knowledge and experience leading the development and implementation of employee-focused communications programs and projects.
- Knowledge and experience in delivering information to employee audiences using a variety of methods including presentations and digital platforms.
- Experience providing strategic communications guidance and support to senior leadership for internal audiences.
- Experience building and maintaining effective working relationships across a diverse organization of professionals
- Ability to plan, develop, write, and present communications that are clear and compelling for a variety of audiences.
Applicant must also:
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or have an approved exception by the date of hire.
- Possess a valid state driver’s license and an acceptable driving record at the time of hire.
An evaluation of each applicant’s training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
Please note: All timelines are approximate and subject to change.
Applicants must submit a professional resume online, cover letter, and answer the supplemental questions specifically focused on their qualifications for this position as identified in the “To Qualify” section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé, cover letter, and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training, and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé and cover letter should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis: Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, that all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a “language pay differential.” This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/events.Contact Information:
Bureau of Human Resources
Aly'ce Brannon-Reid, Senior Recruiter
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
OPTIONAL INFORMATION SESSIONS
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer an Optional Information Session that will provide you with details about the position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job. You are welcome to join us for the optional information session below
Thursday, January 26, 2023
Thursday, February 2, 2023
The session will be recorded and added to the Job Announcement.