Portland YouthBuilders (PYB) is an alternative high school and job-training program with the mission to support low-income young adults, ages 17-24, who are committed to changing their lives to become self-sufficient, contributing members of the workforce and their community. At PYB, students complete high school with a GED or diploma and develop marketable employment skills by learning to build affordable housing from the ground up or learning to refurbish computers and develop websites for nonprofits.
PYB is deeply committed to continuously working to make our organization a more equitable and just place for both students and staff. As it is written in our equity statement: At PYB, we believe that communities are strengthened when diversity is honored. We believe we have a responsibility to interrupt and confront inequity. At PYB, we commit to continuously reflect and challenge the ways in which we, as a community, and as individuals, perpetuate inequity. It is not only vital to our students’ success but essential to our purpose.
The ideal candidate will be committed to our mission and equity statement, and will be inspired by working with young people from diverse backgrounds as they transform their lives through learning and service.
Provide comprehensive career coaching to students in our school’s Construction Program to help them make informed career choices, develop an individualized career plan including post-secondary goals, and provide long-term support through their success in career-aligned employment. Career coaching is provided to students in one-on-one meetings and in group settings-both in person and remotely, using phone, email, Zoom, social media and other communication tools. Assist in developing curriculum and providing instruction for Career Exploration classes. Work closely with other departments (counselors, teachers, trainers) to support students as they develop the knowledge, skills and habits necessary for success in post-secondary education, training, and careers.
Note about PYB operations during COVID-19 pandemic: PYB has offered a full-time distance learning program to our participants since April 2020. Though PYB will reintroduce face-to-face on-site services as soon as it is safe to do so, the successful applicant for this position must have the ability to provide the services described in this announcement using numerous remote and/or digital tools, as well as in person post-pandemic.
Reports to: Placement and Advancement Team Manager
Employment Status: Regular, Exempt
Schedule: 40 hours/week – 8:00am – 5:00pm
Compensation: $44,000 - $50,000/year DOE
Benefits: 7 weeks paid vacation during school closures (4 weeks in summer; 2 weeks in winter; 1 week Spring Break), prorated in first year based on length of service; most state recognized holidays paid, plus 1 personal day/month; $650/month contribution to cafeteria plan for health care benefits and/or retirement savings; dynamic environment with great team of students and staff.
Application Closes: Open until filled
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop and maintain relationships with partners (construction apprenticeships, colleges, employers, internships) in service of student placement support and success
- Assist students with placement in employment and/or post-secondary education/training
- Provide ongoing, long-term post-placement support to alumni
- Enter placement information into student database daily
- Support students with employment training opportunities such as work experiences, job shadows and job fairs
- Develop an individualized career plan for each student
- Connect students to potential employers/mentors through informational interviews and job shadows
- Provide comprehensive orientation to construction apprenticeships, colleges, employers, internships, including tours and orientations and support through the application processes
- Assist in developing curriculum and deliver differentiated classroom-based instruction (virtual and in person) to PYB students in the following:
- Career Exploration
- Creation of edited resume and cover letter and other career related forms
- Practice filling out applications (short and long form, paper and online)
- Employment search
- Professional skills
- Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Maintain accurate database entries
- Assist in other classrooms as needed
Career Coaching and Case Management
- Participate in cross-departmental Case Management teams with a focus on Careers in Apprenticeships Readiness and a student’s transition after PYB into postsecondary education and training
- Design individualized career plans and individualized schedules for students
- Assist students with short and long term planning for their future
- Maintain student records and fulfill all responsibilities as a Case Management team member
- Write case notes and keep Case Management team members informed about important student conversations, academic plans, goals, and achievements
- Support with organizational outreach efforts
- Attend staff meetings and department meetings and all-staff professional development opportunities
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Education, Social Work, Career Exploration or related field
- Experience working with low-income and minority populations
- Minimum of 2 years in individualized career exploration
- Career development experience
- Curriculum development experience
- Experience working with students around goal-setting and toward completion of a goal
- Strong computer skills (database entry, spreadsheets, email correspondence, etc.)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to pass fingerprint-based Criminal Background Check and drug screening
- Experience teaching with technology (e.g.- Zoom, Google Meet, etc)
- Relationships with post-secondary institutions and/or employers
Specific job skills:
- Ability to inspire and motivate young people
- Detail oriented
- Ability to create and optimize systems
- Culturally competent practice; willing to engage in conversations about race
- Ability to develop one-on-one relationships with students from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize, plan and organize
- Effective problem prevention and problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter and independent thinker
- Commitment to professional growth
- Capacity to collaborate with colleagues in order to facilitate student success
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to improvise and work through uncertainties
Our selection process entails:
- Interview - You will be asked to meet with our hiring team for a semi-structured interview. You are encouraged to ask us any questions about the position and PYB at this time.
- Teaching observation and (COVID-permitting) school tour - We would like to observe you teaching with our students. After you teach, you will be given time to reflect on the lesson that you taught with the hiring team.
To apply: email resume and cover letter to the Placement and Advancement Team Manager Danny Van Voorhis at firstname.lastname@example.org Applications will be reviewed as they arrive until the position is filled. Please send your cover letter and resume as attachments (Word or PDF). No phone calls or visits please. For more information, visit our website at www.pybpdx.org.
Portland YouthBuilders’ mission connects us to people and communities across Portland. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law. Portland YouthBuilders is committed to the diversity of our people, programs and services. The organization acts affirmatively in the employment and advancement of qualified people of color. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY1-800-735-2900
PYB employees must successfully complete a criminal background and drug test check prior to employment. Portland YouthBuilders is a Drug Free Workplace and adheres to the requirements of the Drug Free Workplace Act. Portland YouthBuilders’ students and staff are subject to random drug tests.
- This program is funded 25% through a Federal award of $1.5 million from the U.S. Department of Labor – ETA for the YouthBuild Program Initiative.
- This program financed in whole (or in part) with funds provided through Worksystems, Inc. from the U.S. Department of Labor.
- PYB is an AmeriCorps program and students who are AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award.