Reed College seeks an enthusiastic and dedicated person to be our next Science Outreach Program Manager. The Science Outreach Program Manager leads science and mathematics outreach programs to local grade schools and middle schools across Portland. The program manager works closely with Reed College’s science faculty to plan and execute these programs. This role reports to a member of the steering committee.
This is a full-time, exempt role with typical work hours from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a one-hour daily unpaid lunch. There will be occasional evening/weekend hours, especially during August and September. Starting salary for this position is $58,140 per year. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities.
Who You Are
- You possess exceptionally strong relationship and community building skills. You probably have a large network of professional contacts because you know how important professional relationships are.
- You have at least three years of experience in teaching or programming for K-8 students.
- You have experience with science and math education or programming and you possess skills and knowledge aligned with the national science standards.
- You are committed to equity and inclusion and it shows in your work.
- You prefer working as a member of a team, but you’re also a self-starter and you know who to go to to get your questions answered.
- You have experience assessing community needs and developing programming to meet those needs.
- You are good at identifying problems and taking the initiative to address them yourself.
- You have experience mentoring young people from diverse backgrounds.
- You are detail oriented and very organized. You know how important it is to manage event planning details.
- You have experience managing a budget at work.
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (the sciences, education, higher education administration or related area) plus experience in science education and program support, or any combination of experience and education required to perform the job. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
What You’ll Do
- Develop a vibrant science and math outreach curriculum collaboratively with public school teachers, community partners, Reed students, and Reed faculty.
- Recruit, supervise and support 50+ student employees, interns, and volunteers annually.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with local elementary (K-8) schools and teachers. In some instances, you will cold call contacts, in order to establish new partnerships.
- Assess the program at regular intervals, and then adjust and change as needed so that all stakeholders are served.
- Closely manage the logistics of the programs, including scheduling, transportation coordination, and material preparation.
- Connect partner classrooms with interested Reed Mathematical and Natural Sciences faculty either by coordinating field trips to Reed College or other types of visits.
- Maintain records, prepare grant proposals and annual reports.
- Manage the program’s website, communications, and other public relations.
- Design programming to support campus-wide collaborations like Take Your Child to Work Day.
- Meet regularly with the science outreach steering committee, and the Associate Dean of Graduate and Special Programs, and other Program managers.
- Oversee budgeting, payroll, purchasing and equipment maintenance.