Join the team for our upcoming exhibitions -- Queen Nefertari’s Egypt, Private Lives Home and Family in the Art of the Nabis, and Paris, 1889-1900. The Portland Art Museum and Northwest Film Center (referred to as Museum) invites applications for the position of Gift Shop Sales Associate. The Sales Associate assists shop customers with merchandise information and purchases. Our Museum Store offers an eclectic selection of gifts, books, cards, fashion accessories and jewelry for in-person shopping and a new online Museum store. All proceeds for the store directly support the Museum and its programs. If you have retail experience and are interested in people, art, books, and fashion, then apply today!
The current COVID-19 crisis has resulted in severe and unprecedented disruptions to revenue generation at the Museum. Currently, the Museum has recently reopened to visitors and the Institution is running on reduced staffing levels. The task ahead is not easy, but a challenge our staff are taking on with a deep commitment to the mission. The successful incumbent in this role will be willing to enter the situation with energy, flexibility, and a vision to overcome obstacles. This position requires a desire for understanding and adhering to COVID-19 safety protocols set forth by the Museum at all times. Masks are required indoors per the state mandate. In addition, the Museum’s intent is to move toward requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for staff with verification of vaccination status. Accommodations available for staff under the ADA.
Equity, Inclusion and Accommodation
The Museum and Film Center strives to be an inclusive institution that facilitates respectful dialogue, debate, and the free exchange of ideas. With a deep commitment to artists - past and present - and freedom of expression, the Museum and Film Center’s collections, programs and staff aspire to reveal the beauty and complexities of the world, and create a deeper understanding of our shared humanity. We are a Museum for all, inviting everyone to connect with art through their own experiences, voices, and personal journeys. We are committed to advancing equity and inclusion by creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We will continue learning as we work to evolve as an Institution, recognizing that this journey has no end and our commitment must remain. We have an active equity team currently engaged in a journey to examine our internal culture and the work we do through an equity lens. We look forward to having all colleagues join and contribute to this important work. Learn more at https://portlandartmuseum.org/portland-art-museum-announces-equity-statement/.
The Museum and Film Center are equal opportunity employers, committed to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political belief, disability or any other legally protected status. We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the application, interview, and hiring process. Alternative formats of this application are available upon request. If reasonable accommodation or an alternative form of this application are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 503.276.4358.
The Portland Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants, women, LGBTQ+, and individuals with disabilities, please apply!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Welcomes and assists shop customers with merchandise information and purchases.
- Promotes an exceptional customer experience that incorporates the Museum’s ongoing visitor engagement and equity and inclusion work. Centers welcoming all regardless of race, gender or physical barriers.
- Suggests and sells Museum memberships.
- Pulls orders and assists with packaging and mailing of ecommerce sales.
- Operates the electronic cash register and reconciles the cash drawer.
- Creates and maintains shop displays.
- Helps ticket merchandise.
- Rotate stock and fill in from back stock.
- Notify management of high demand items for replenishment.
- Have knowledge on museum current exhibits and how they relate to merchandise.
Secondary or Additional Responsibilities
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Support the Museum’s mission, vision and core values of creativity, connection, equity, learning, accessibility and accountability.
- Contribute to and support the PAM strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity, equity, inclusion and access.
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives.
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement.
- Use the equity lens in decision making. Promote equity and inclusion goals and have a “people first” mindset.
Required Knowledge & Skills, Education, Formal & Informal Experience, Training Required, Certification, Etc.
If you have any questions along the way including wanting to talk about a non traditional career background, please reach out to HR.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- 6+ months retail sales experience or customer services. Boutique or specialty store experience is a plus.
- Interest in art history is a plus, but ask for retail experience in conjunction.
- Interact with customers in a proactive and welcoming manner, provide excellent customer service to all Museum constituents to promote sales.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Accuracy, attention to detail and perform duties effectively under time constraints.
- Skilled in multitasking.
- Adhere to the Museum Gift Shop dress code of business casual attire.
- Availability for evening, weekend, and holiday shifts and be flexible with schedule.
- Visual display experience is a plus.
- Schedule/Hours: role is temporary until January 23, 2022, estimated at 19-29 hours per week. Schedule to be shared by the supervisor.
- Minimum 4 hour work shifts for onsite work.
- Overtime: None
- Evening hours as needed
- Computer work (point of sale)
- Works directly with public
- Work with chemicals (COVID-19 cleaning of work area)
- Must be available to work weekends, holidays and special events
- This job is not a good fit for those needing to travel at Thanksgiving or Christmas
- Use of fingers
- Repetitive Motion of hands/wrists
- Lifting up to 15 lbs
About the Portland Art Museum
Founded in 1892, the Portland Art Museum is one of the oldest art museums in the United States and the oldest in the Pacific Northwest. The Museum’s collection of 42,000 objects reflects the history of art from ancient times to today. The collection is distinguished for its holdings of arts of the native peoples of North America; modern and contemporary art; Asian and American art; photographs, prints, and drawings; and English silver.
With more than 112,000 square feet of gallery space, the Museum ranks in the top 25 museums in the country with the most gallery and exhibition space. An active collecting institution, the Museum dedicates 90 percent of its gallery space to its permanent collection. In addition to its permanent collection, the Museum is recognized for its special exhibitions and intimate exhibition series, including the APEX program, a contemporary art series, and presentations in the Gilkey Center galleries.
Annual membership consists of 16,000 member households, representing more than 92,000 individuals. More than 350,000 visitors are welcomed annually, including more than 50,000 schoolchildren.
The Museum’s annual operating budget is approximately $13.5 million.
About the Northwest Film Center
The Museum's sister organization, established in 1971, the Northwest Film Center is a Portland, Oregon-based year-round organization and space where artists and audiences explore our region and the world through cinema and cinematic storytelling in all its forms.
Our mission is to expand the reach of cinema as an art form and challenge for whom, by whom, and how stories can be told. Through our screenings, events, guest speaker programs, classes, and workshops, audiences and artists form vital connections that bind our community and encourage a more vibrant, accessible, and diverse media-arts ecosystem.
The Northwest Film Center acts as an advocate for pioneering filmmakers and artists, giving a platform to voices that might not otherwise be heard and serves as a catalyst for cultural appreciation, conversation, collaboration, and community-building around new ways of seeing locally and globally. For more information, visit www.nwfilm.org.
- Budgeted compensation range is $14.00 - $15.25 per hour, depending on experience. The role is in pay grade A. Role is non-exempt/hourly.
- The role may qualify for shift differential if evening hours are scheduled. Evening hours will be compensated at an additional $1.00 per hour above the employee's regular rate of pay.
- Eligible for a $500 hiring bonus to new hires who join the team October 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022, and stay with the Museum 6+ months.
- Accrued sick time.
- Complimentary admission to the Museum for employee and guest(s) accompanied by you.
- Access to Museum lectures and programs.
- Discounts at Museum Shop.
Application Process for Gift Shop Sales Associate (Temporary, Part-Time)
To apply online visit: www.portlandartmuseum.org/careers follow the link to create a profile. Resumes received without completed employment application will not be considered. For questions or accommodation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please attach a cover letter and in addition, we ask that applicants answer the questions within the application. The Museum engages an equity hiring committee to review applications.
Closing date: Open Until Filled