The Senior Network Engineer: Information Systems Technical Analyst (ISTA) VI is a strategic team member within the Enterprise Network Team. The Enterprise Network Team has a deep understanding of complex network implementations and infrastructure. As a member of this critically important team, you will be expected to contribute to and support Network enterprise objectives. You will collaborate with technology leaders, stakeholders, engineers, and analysts to understand strategic network initiatives and contribute to and possibly lead technical solutions that satisfy those needs. The Network Engineer will focus on high profile partnership with the Information Security staff to secure City networks and data as well as with outside agencies.
The enterprise network team works together closely to design, implement, troubleshoot, and improve the City of Portland’s network and services that reply on it. While much of this work is self-managed, the team prioritizes intra-team communication, collaboration, and information sharing.
As a Senior Network Engineer, you will:
This classification is represented by the Professional and Technical Employees (PTE) To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portland.gov/bhr/employee-relations/labor-relations/labor-agreements and click on the appropriate link.
- Design network environments based on business and technical requirements.
- Manage infrastructure services such as DHCP, DNS, and NTP.
- Administer an Arista spine/leaf data center architecture supporting multiple data centers.
- Troubleshoot application performance, including by analyzing packet captures using a centralized data center packet capture tool.
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot multi-tenant routed data center environments.
- Administer firewalls by using your knowledge of stateful firewalling and intrusion prevention.
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot secure network environments, including next-gen firewalls
- Contribute as a senior team member and provide mentorship to junior employees.
- Manage or lead multiple projects simultaneously and deliver solutions that benefit the entire City of Portland
- Demonstrate leadership skills including collaboration, facilitation, negotiation, conflict management, and influence.
- Create and update network documentation and add to the team knowledge repository.
- Use your excellent interpersonal skills to articulate the value of a strong network enterprise to critical business stakeholders.
- Implement existing mandates of compliance including, but not limited to, the Payment Card Industry (PCI-DSS), Personal Identifiable Information (PII), Federal Tax Information (FTI), Criminal Justice Information Security (CJIS), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Oregon Identity Theft Protection Act, CPNI, and City of Portland Administrative Rules.
City of Portland Core Values: Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal ResponsibilityThe City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here.
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
COVID-19 Vaccine RequirementApplicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their cover letter and resume how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications.
As of October 18, 2021, all City employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This is required for all positions at the City of Portland. Proof of being fully vaccinated is required by date of hire. You may request an exception, for health or religious reasons, from getting the COVID-19 vaccine at the time a position is offered.
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID. In the future, current positions classified as “full-time remote” will: 1) become a remote/onsite mix or 2) revert to full-time at a city work location.
Applicants must also possess:
- Advanced experience with Cisco IOS and deploying Cisco routers and switches.
- Experience designing, implementing, and/or troubleshooting in a medium or large OSPF network.
- Experience with security design, operations, and incident response, working within multiple regulatory frameworks.
- Experience with several of the following: DNAC, Arista EOS, spine/leaf data center architecture, VXLAN, F5 load balancers, Linux, BGP. Additionally, experience with one or more firewall platforms such as Juniper, Palo-Alto, and Fortinet
- Experience with one or more of the following security related tools or services: SSL-VPN, decrypting TLS traffic, content filtering, site-to-site VPNs.
- Experience leading or coordinating multiple network related projects of high complexity, risk, visibility, and impact. Examples include projects such as installations of network devices or firewalls, bandwidth upgrades, routing protocol migrations, network refreshes, securing new or existing applications behind firewalls.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate. If unvaccinated, exception process must be completed by date of hire. Exception guidelines/process can be accessed here: Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine.
- Ability to pass a comprehensive police background investigation.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation for required certifications may be required prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting: 8/1/22-12/12/22
- Round 1 Closes 8/30/2022
- Eligible List Round 1: Week of 9/5/22
- Interviews: mid September
- Offer: late September/early October
- Round 2 Closes 9/12/22
- Eligible List Round 2: Week of 9/19/22
- Interviews: late September
- Offer: October
- Eligible List Round 3: Week of 9/26/22
- Interviews: mid October
- Offer: late October
- Subsequent Eligible Lists every 2 weeks or as applicants qualify
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
This is an open continuous recruitment: Open Continuous recruitments have multiple review periods and can be opened for up to 6 months.
- If you apply and are notified you meet minimum qualifications/placed on the eligible list, please do not reapply. Any applications received after being placed on the eligible list will not be reviewed and will be rejected as a duplicate application.
- If you apply and are notified you do not meet qualifications and the recruitment is still open, you may reapply and update your materials.
Applicants must submit a professional résumé and cover letter online specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training, certification and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications and ability to meet the minimum requirements listed in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the cover letter.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis: Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veterans’ Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- Do not attach documents not requested.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a “language pay differential.” This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers "How to Apply Classes" that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/events.
Bureau of Human Resources
Karen Ehn, Senior Recruiter
An Equal Opportunity Employer