Job Title: Project Manager – Housing Development
Reports to: Director of Housing
Starting salary range: $55,960 - $69,250 annually, plus generous benefits package
FSLA Status: Exempt
help make a difference? For almost 30 years, Human Solutions has been
working to break the cycle of intergenerational poverty by empowering families
and helping them build pathways out of poverty. Our comprehensive
programs give people the skills and resources they need to be successful.
Our programs include services for homeless families, eviction prevention,
supportive services, employment services, energy assistance, and the
development and operation of affordable housing.
Diversity, inclusion and equity are fundamental values for Human
Solutions, both internally and externally. HSI has a Diversity Committee, which
serves as a sounding board for new internal
policies and procedures to make sure that we’re taking into account diversity
and inclusion. It also helps with diversity-related projects, such as staff
diversity trainings, assessing our equity as an organization and developing an
equity lens for our work.
Human Solutions is working to end homelessness and poverty in our community because everyone deserves a safe place to call home.
What Human Solutions Can Offer You: We offer a comprehensive array of benefits in support of your physical, emotional and financial well-being. A few highlights:
- Employer paid premiums for employee health insurance.
- Generous paid time off, 11 paid holidays, a floating birthday holiday and the ability to maintain a great work/life balance.
- Employer paid premiums for short-term and long-term disability insurance and life insurance.
- Access to an employee assistance program.
- Flexible spending accounts for health and for dependent care.
- Professional development opportunities, including employee driven committees and monthly optional staff workshops.
- Access to wellness initiatives and resources including things such as walking groups, yoga classes at two office locations and workshops on stress management, self-care and healthy living.
- Opportunity to contribute to a 401k retirement plan after one year of employment.
This position will help manage the development process for new and rehabilitated affordable housing for the Human Solutions (HSI) Real Estate Portfolio. This position supports the mission of HSI by ensuring effective completion and coordination of all aspects of the development process, leading to the production or preservation of affordable housing units. This position plays a critical role in coordinating the work of multi-disciplinary teams of architects, contractors, consultants and staff.
40 hours per week, Monday through Friday; this is an exempt position with a flexible schedule, with occasional evening or weekend hours required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Assist the Director of Housing in managing a range of development-related activities including financing, design and construction planning and meetings.
2. Develop and maintain proformas for new and active projects.
3. Prepare funding applications, grant requests and loan packages to obtain financing from public and private sources for new construction, acquisition or rehabilitation of multifamily rental housing.
4. Complete feasibility work, through the management of consultants, related to site investigation, including zoning analysis, mapping, ordering environmental reports, surveys, capital needs assessments, and soils reports. Assists in obtaining site control.
5. Prepare construction draw requests and any other documentation required during construction.
6. Work with third party construction consultant during construction period to coordinate flow of information and decision-making. Participate in weekly construction coordination meetings.
7. Represent agency in policy and planning processes related to Housing Development, Finance and Land Use initiatives.
8. Manage loan closings and provide due diligence materials to lenders and investors.
1. Assist Director of Housing in identifying and analyzing opportunities for new construction or rehabilitation projects that meet HSI’s mission.
2. Assist in the selection and oversight of development teams (architects, general contractors, relocation consultants, attorneys, and other consultants). Negotiates and manages contracts.
3. Produce completion and project status reports to funders and investors.
4. Coordinate transition of completed projects to the property/asset management staff.
5. Collaborate with Finance Department and accounting firms regarding cost certifications, and coordinates project closeout tasks.
6. Support Human Solutions’ efforts at community outreach and public involvement in affordable housing development. Works with neighbors, local governments and other interested parties through the siting process; coordinates and facilitates public meetings on project development; delivers public presentations.
7. Collaborate effectively on housing-related business with other staff and contractors, including Asset Management Director and Resident Services Director; 3rd party property management and other Human Solutions staff involved in housing.
8. Coordinate and staff the Housing Development Finance Committee’s (HDFC) monthly meetings and other Housing Development meetings as necessary. Prepares monthly reports for the agency Board of Directors.
9. In coordination with the Director of Housing, create and maintain tracking systems, policies and procedures as related to Housing Development.
Position may be responsible for hiring and supervising Housing Development interns or other development staff when such positions are added.
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum five years’ work experience in a position with progressive responsibility in affordable housing development OR finance OR other relevant project or program management role. Demonstrated experience managing programs or projects and managing budgets. Direct experience in multifamily housing development or asset management.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field OR two additional years of progressively responsible employment in a similar position.
Demonstrated experience in low income housing development and housing operations. Demonstrated ability to read and interpret legal contract documents and architectural plans and specifications.
Proven ability to:
· Work independently and cooperatively with minimal supervision;
· Coordinate projects in multiple stages of development;
· Organize multiple complex tasks;
· Communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
· Coordinate outside teams of consultants; understand and manage project schedules and budgets;
· Demonstrated awareness of housing as a social issue.
· Demonstrated skills in advanced financial spreadsheet development and analysis; demonstrated experience with computing in an office environment (Excel, Microsoft Office applications).
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, real estate financing documents, legal contracts, architectural drawings and specifications, and governmental regulations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current Oregon Driver’s License and current automobile insurance
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to visit properties and construction sites where accessible routes cannot be assured. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please send resume with cover letter and three professional references to: Sarah Schubert, Director of Housing, via email to email@example.com. References need not be written, but should be the names, positions and contact information for three people who can attest to workplace skills and experience, including at least one supervisor. Open until filled.