Reed College is seeking an Orientation and First Year Programs Manager. The Orientation and First Year Programs Manager establishes and maintains an active, highly-visible, and deeply-engaged presence to create and implement orientation and transition programs. They are responsible for planning, designing, implementing, evaluating and improving the New Student Orientation, Orientation and Wayfinding Leader program, and First Year Experience programs each year to meet the academic priorities and student life transitions of incoming students. This role reports to the Director of Student Engagement in our Student Life division.
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities. This is a full-time, exempt role with work hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, with a one hour unpaid lunch. The annual salary for this position is $57,000.
Who You Are
- You enjoy working with students and other groups of people.
- You are an experienced event planner with strong program management skills. You always have a plan, and you can determine what’s urgent versus important.
- In addition to always having a plan, you always have empathy for your co-collaborators. People like working with you because you’re organized, yet flexible.
- You sweat the details. You know how to go with the flow, and you are resourceful.
- You are creative and demonstrate initiative.
- You have a professional, adaptable communication style coupled with active listening skills.
- You are skilled in public speaking, presenting to audiences of varying sizes and contexts, and leading workshops.
- You are personally committed to equity and it shows in your work.
- You prefer a team environment at work, rather than working alone; but you can work independently. You don’t hesitate to roll up your sleeves and pitch in, even when it’s not your job.
- You have experience in an orientation leadership role and two years of content experience with orientation and first year programs.
- You enjoy learning new skills and practices to develop yourself as a professional.
What You’ll Do
- Design, implement, and assess August and January Orientation programs for new incoming and transfer students. Programs will be centered around development and transition theory and grounded in the Student Success plan and Student Life curriculum.
- Hire, train, and supervise 25-40 Orientation and Wayfinding Leaders and other needed student staff.
- Design and implement an intensive training program to equip student staff for their leadership roles during Orientation and the fall semester.
- Lead the Orientation Implementation Group and partner with various departments on campus including Facilities, Dean of the Faculty Office, Conference and Event Planning, and Bon Appetit Food Services to coordinate logistics.
- Create the vision, design, implement, and assess the fall portion of the first year program to ensure academic and social integration of first-year students to the Reed community.
- Lead the fall portion of the first year program interdisciplinary committee and be a key contributor to the spring portion of the program.
- Create the first-year transition and wayfinding curriculum and programs; serve as a member of the Student Life curriculum committee
- Coordinate with other offices to provide a comprehensive calendar, support, and guide for first-year students.