Title: Regional Community Organizer
Reports to: Organizing Director
Direct Reports: 0
Location: Portland, Salem, or Eugene OR*
Salary: $35,000 - 40,000 full-time equivalent, pro-rated depending on number of hours FTE
Type: Part to Full-time. We are open to negotiating number of hours.
*We are hiring one Organizer in two different cities. Candidate should reside in the area they are applying for.
Deadline: Application review begins September 26th. Option to delay start day to November 12th.
Who We Are
Family Forward Action is a feminist, family-friendly nonprofit focused on building effective grassroots power to change systems and ensure economic security for women, especially mothers and other caregivers.
We believe that caring for our children, our parents, and others in need of care is a fundamental principle of a civilized and equitable society. We believe that the work of caring for loved ones is critical to our social and economic health and should not jeopardize anyone’s economic security. We have a dream of Black, Brown, and White women working together for shared liberty and economic justice.
You are perfect for this job if you…
● Are a mama, a caregiver, or have another intimate connection to the issues we work on.
● Have a passion for our mission of economic justice for women.
● Enjoy a flexible, and family-friendly work environment.
● Believe in, and understand why policies like paid sick days, paid family leave, workplace flexibility, and quality and affordable child care are critical for the economic security of women, and particularly women of color.
● Love working with mamas and caregivers and want to empower them to advocate for our shared liberty.
● Want to make the world a better place for working families.
We are seeking two Regional Community Organizers, who will be responsible for executing regional aspects of our statewide organizing program. We are building an exciting new organizing program that will combine elements of transformational and power-based organizing, and that will center mamas and other caregivers in social justice and political work. The Regional Community Organizers will work within their communities to identify supporters and volunteers, as well as train and empower volunteer leaders who are prepared to engage on Family Forward’s issues.
Family Forward is an intersectional feminist organization committed to racial and gender justice. It is critical that the ideal candidate understands and is able to communicate about systems of oppression and has the drive to organize groups across race and class. If you are looking for an opportunity to create major change in the lives of women and families, we are eager to meet you.
Summary of Responsibilities
● Build a strong base of support in assigned region(s) by increasing our number of identified supporters, volunteers, and volunteer leaders.
● Launch and sustain volunteer leadership teams centering mothers, caregivers, and others most profoundly impacted by the issues.
● Volunteer recruitment and management.
● Facilitate monthly Action Team meetings and work closely with volunteer leaders to execute community outreach, education, and engagement activities.
● Identify leaders for and support year-long Mamas Lead training program cohort.
● Collect stories and prepare story-sharers to engage on Paid Family Leave and Affordable Child Care campaigns.
● Learn and use organizing tools to expand Family Forward’s reach and influence.
● Manage volunteers and fellows in support of grassroots base-building and engagement, legislative advocacy, and electoral work*.
● Build relationships with volunteer leaders with a heavy focus on leadership development.
● Maintain excellent data records of activists and activities.
We are seeking a passionate, fun, dynamic, leader and collaborator who can help us take Family Forward’s organizing program to the next level.
Strong applicants will:
● Have a commitment to Family Forward’s mission and an understanding of the barriers women, and particularly mothers, caregivers, and women of color face.
● Be a people-person who loves hearing and sharing stories.
● Have excellent time and project management skills.
● Be confident, friendly, professional, resourceful and helpful.
● Be able to work independently and within a multi-racial team environment
● Have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Fluency in Spanish helpful.
● Have strong computer skills, including , Microsoft Office, Google programs, video conferencing technology and CRM platforms.
These things are helpful but not essential...
● Background in organizing, working with volunteers, and/or politics.
● Experience building leaders and deepening the engagement of members and volunteers.
● Sales experience.
● Experience working remotely.
● Familiarity with the VAN, video conferencing technology, and CRM platforms.
Additional Job Requirements
● Available for frequent and regular evening and weekend activities.
● Willingness to travel as needed to other parts of Oregon and occasionally out-of-state for meetings or training opportunities.
● Access to reliable transportation.
Family Forward is an organization that practices what we preach. We offer an excellent benefits package including generous PTO, full employee health and dental insurance, access to a retirement savings plan, along with scheduling flexibility and the opportunity to work from home part-time. Mothers, caregivers, people of color, queer, transgender, gender nonconforming people and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce that represents the communities we seek to organize. We also understand becoming a parent can take you out of the workforce for some time, and we welcome your application if a large gap in your job history is due to caregiving.
We know that women often pass on opportunities if they feel they’re not 100% qualified. If you’re excited about this position but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and a 1-page writing sample sharing your story of how caregiving has impacted your life to Nichi Linder at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Regional Community Organizer (Salem, Portland, or Eugene)” in the subject line. Please be sure to indicate which region you are applying for. Thank you for taking the time to explore possibilities with us!
*Electoral work will be executed under the Mother PAC, which is affiliated with Family Forward Action.