Parent Mentor –Clackamas County
Full-Time, Full Benefits
Our Parent Anonymous of Oregon program is looking for parents to serve as mentors to Child Welfare-involved parent in Clackamas County. If you’re a parent who personally understands the struggles of drug addiction, believes in second chances, and have the tools and resources to mentor other parents facing similar struggles, then this job is for you!
This position requires a unique life experience, including personal experience and knowledge of addiction issues and a minimum 2 years in active program of recovery.
Parents Anonymous of Oregon is seeking a Parent Mentor to support Child Welfare-involved parents in Clackamas County. The Parent Mentor Program is currently seeking applicants who are bilingual in Spanish and English with experience supporting urban and rural Latino families. The Parent Mentor Program matches Parent Mentors who have a history of addiction and involvement with DHS Child Welfare with parents currently entering the Child Welfare system.
Parent Mentors are role models demonstrating the possibility of change and a healthy life as a parent in recovery. The LIFE Program is a strength-based, trauma informed and culturally responsive approach to working toward permanency for children in foster care, in which mentors and other service providers partner collaboratively with DHS to support families.
Parent Mentors provide system navigation based on a combination of personal experience and professional training provided by Parents Anonymous. Empowering and coaching parents through their case with DHS, supporting them at monthly Case Planning Meetings and court hearings, driving parents to appointments, and providing support for other mentors on the team are all important aspects of this work.
- Primary duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a trusting relationship with assigned parents by providing regular contact and support, including attending court and/or meetings with DHS when requested by parents
- Communicate positively and professionally with DHS staff and work collaboratively to support families identified for the L.I.F.E. Program
- Build relationships with Child Welfare staff and serve as a positive representative for the Parent Mentor Program within DHS
- Consult with Child Welfare staff regarding effective culturally specific practices to engage urban and rural Latino families
Schedule: Monday through Friday, typical hours are 8AM-5PM or 9AM-6PM. Weekends off!
Program: Parents Anonymous of Oregon
Perks and Benefits: Extensive benefit package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. Company provided Life and Long-Term Disability. Paid vacation and sick time. Access to employee resource groups and much more!
- Education and Experience Requirements:
A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Personal experience and knowledge of addiction issues required
- Minimum 2 years in active program of recovery from using alcohol and other drugs required
- Personal experience of a DHS Child Welfare case required, closed for a minimum of 1 year
- High School Diploma or GED or high school level writing and reading skills
Valued, but not required Experience:
- Experience being mentored by our Parent Mentor Program
- Knowledge of treatment and community resources
- Certified Recovery Mentor certificate through MHACBO
- Basic computer skills, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets & email
- Other Requirements:
- Position requires personal transportation allowing for travel within the Portland metropolitan area and Clackamas County in a timely manner. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license for state of residency, personal auto liability insurance at $100,000/$100,000 level, and a driving record permitting coverage under corporate auto liability policy
- Must pass a criminal history check
Starting Pay Range:
Bilingual (Spanish) Parent Mentor: $16.35 - $17.39
Morrison Child and Family Services is a non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive array of services to children, adolescents, and their families. As an agency Morrison, its team members, and clients commit to the following values of trauma-informed care:
- Nonviolence - being safe and doing the right thing
- Emotional Intelligence - managing our feelings so we don’t hurt ourselves or others
- Social Learning - respecting and sharing ideas of our teams
- Democracy - shared decision making whenever possible
- Open Communication - saying what we mean and not being mean when we say it
- Social Responsibility - everyone makes a contribution to the organizational culture
- Growth and Change - creating hope for our clients and ourselves
- Equity - Assuring all can survive and thrive
Visit our website to learn more about mission and history and our strategy for accomplishing our goal of achieving significant, positive, and long-term clinical outcomes for the clients we serve.
At Morrison we celebrate diversity. Through our commitment to equity and inclusion, we support our communities to move beyond disparity and oppression and work with compassion, integrity, and dedication to social justice through the implementation of goals and policies. We strive to create an inclusive and anti-racist organization by ensuring that racial identity will not determine or predict the quality of trauma-informed families will recieve; to that effect, we’re looking for candidates who can provide culturally-appropriate care or possess the ability to hold each other and yourself accountable to the diversity and uniqueness of all individuals within Morrison, our clients and our community stakeholders.
External Candidate Process: Click here to apply:
*** External candidates, if viewing job through a website without enabled links, to apply please visit
Internal Candidate Process: Current Morrison employees, please visit our Internal Career Center by logging in Workforce Now ADP and following this path: Myself > Talent > Career Center
No phone calls please
Position Open Until Enough Qualified Applicants Have Responded
We strive to Create a Diverse, Inclusive environment to Better Serve our Clients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.