TO APPLY: Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or apply below. Position open until filled.
PURPOSE: To manage SOAR’s affirmative legal services program, and provide supervision, training and technical support for attorneys and accredited representatives engaged in representation before USCIS.
ACCOUNTABILITY: To the mission and goals of Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon (EMO) as determined by the Board of Directors, and as administered by the President and their delegates.
REPORTS TO: Director of Immigration Legal Services
DIRECT REPORTS: None.
LOCATION: EMO’s SOAR Immigration Legal Services Portland or Hillsboro program site.
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, full time.
BENEFITS: Salary starts at $82,049 annually. Salary starts at $86,209 for candidates with Spanish language fluency. Starting salary increases with each year of immigration practice experience. All regular employees (does not include on-call or temporary) are eligible for vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401(k) retirement plan, employee assistance program and employee trainings. Employees in exempt positions or non-exempt positions that are 20 hours per week or more, also receive medical insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance and life insurance, per eligibility requirements.
- Provide legal supervision for Affirmative Program Attorney(s) and DOJ Accredited Representatives and provide strategic guidance and support in developing case strategies for cases before USCIS.
- Meet with DOJ Accredited Representatives and/or attorneys engaged in representing clients before USCIS weekly for case rounds and to review casework.
- Provide direct legal representation to low income clients with USCIS administrative applications and in immigration court on a broad range of immigration cases including: family based petitions, asylum, adjustment of status, naturalization, consular processing, deferred action for childhood arrivals, U visas, and other immigration remedies.
- Provide ongoing legal training for Attorney(s) and Accredited Representative(s) on Affirmative Immigration Topics.
- Create a digital library or resource hub with trainings, screening tools, practice advisories, and legal tools for attorneys and accredited representatives providing USCIS representation.
- Hold community presentations on immigration topics.
- Submit monthly reports on services rendered.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ability to work within the mission, vision and ethics of EMO, and maintain an understanding of the services provided by the programs and projects of EMO.
KNOWLEDGE: Must be a lawyer in good standing with the Bar of any state, and meet the requirements of ORS 9.280 and the Oregon Rules of Professional Conduct; Must have at least five years of experience practicing immigration law (gained as either an attorney or accredited representative); Proven proficiency using software programs for data and word processing; Must possess valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability.
SKILLS: Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills with the ability to listen to and affirm people from a wide variety of backgrounds and circumstances; especially to treat all individuals with respect and dignity; Excellent time management and attention to deadlines;
EFFORT: Proven organizational skills and ability to maintain calm, professional manner.
RESPONSIBILITY: Ability to be self-directed and work as a member of a team; Ability to handle highly sensitive matters with confidentiality, diplomacy, and professionalism.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Ability to work in a respectful manner with people of diverse ethnicity, socio-economic circumstances, religion, culture and sexual orientation; High tolerance for ambiguity and change.
Fluent in Spanish and English.
At least two years of supervisory experience.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, considers individuals for employment according to their abilities and performance. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and people living with HIV are encouraged to apply.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. All employment requirements mandated by state and federal regulations will be observed.
Job Type: Full Time
Job Location: SOAR Immigration Legal Services