Salary Range: $77,770 – $102,340 annually
Placement on range determined by relevant experience presented in application materials
Full-time, exempt position, plus full benefits package.
Open until filled. First review of applications will take place on June 15th , 2022.
Do you have a passion for serving and engaging with the community through parks & recreation programs and services?
Are you a skilled communications leader committed to effective communication & community engagement that advances equity and inclusion?
Have you developed strategic communications & marketing plans?
Then you might be a great candidate to join our team as Hillsboro Parks & Recreation Public Information Officer (PIO)!
About The Opportunity
As a Public Information Officer embedded within the City of Hillsboro Parks & Recreation Department, you will serve the community as part of an award-winning parks and recreation agency dedicated to providing diverse, innovative, and exceptional recreational and cultural opportunities.
Working closely with the City’s Communications Division, you will develop and manage strategic communications, informational activities, media relations, and branding and marketing efforts to achieve the department’s communications and outreach objectives.
Examples of Essential Work
- Effectively communicating and disseminating information through written articles, social media, webpage updates, videos, fact sheets, brochures, and other informational materials;
- Ensuring that City communications are effective in reaching culturally specific audiences, including underrepresented and underserved communities of color;
- Leading and supporting community engagement on Parks & Recreations programs and services, including the development of the City’s future inclusive park and playground.
- Developing and implementing a Parks & Recreation Department Strategic Communications Plan, including an internal communications plan.
- Promoting and marketing revenue-generating Parks & Recreation programs, services, and facilities, such as the Hidden Creek Community Center, SHARC, Ron Tonkin Field, Hillsboro Stadium, and the Walters Cultural Arts Center.
- Promoting and marketing special community events, such as Pride Month, El Grito, and the La Strada dei Pastelli Chalk Art Festival.
- Strategically guiding communications and outreach for the City’s Parks & Recreation System Plan, a comprehensive evaluation of the City’s current park system and our community’s equitable vision for the future park system.
- Developing and enhancing partnerships with communities of color, including our large Latinx community.
- Working closely with the Parks & Recreation Department Director and staff, Communications Division Manager, and other City communicators;
- Presenting information to internal and external audiences, including public speaking opportunities and community meetings.
- Responding to requests for information from community members, external organizations, departments, and media (or designating an appropriate spokesperson);
- Providing information during and in response to crises, emergency incidents, and other critical situations.
For complete job classification details, please click here
Acceptable Experience and Training
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field, and 5 years’ experience in public relations; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job, such as those listed above. Oral and written bilingual (Spanish) skills are ideal.
- Valid Driver’s License and safe driving record
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.