The City of Portland, Bureau of Technology Services is seeking to fill an Electronics Technician III - Communications position.
Employee will lead and assist Electronic Technician I & II field Technicians, in the installation, maintenance and repair, of the City of Portland's Audio/Video (AV) systems, security camera infrastructure and associated low voltage disciplines. Employee will lead efforts to diagnose issues with electronic equipment and network infrastructure using various industry standard test equipment such as network cabling testers, HDMI signal generators, communications test sets, spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, multi-meters and other specialized equipment. Employees must be able to operate a motor vehicle, follow written and oral policies and procedures, and communicate with co-workers and customers. Provide high level updates on scheduled work requests and completed assignments and execute other lead Technician tasks as assigned.
Incumbent shall have excellent interpersonal skills; proven and recognized as a team leader with excellent coordination and communication abilities.
Incumbent shall have extensive knowledge of construction trade practices and drawings to ensure installations are in compliance with all established codes, standards, laws, and policies.
External applicants start at the entry salary rate. This classification is represented by the District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU). To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840 and click on the appropriate link.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here (https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/article/763427).
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions- driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package (http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/60196), including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, all City employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This is required for all positions at the City of Portland. Proof of being fully vaccinated is required by date of hire. You may request an exception, for health or religious reasons, from getting the COVID-19 vaccine at the time a position is offered.
Many positions within the City are designated as hybrid and currently the City requires you to work in-person one day per week. Beginning in April 2023, most hybrid employees will be expected to perform at least half of their work in-person.Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their cover letter and resume how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following required minimum qualifications:
Applicants applying for the Audio/Video (AV) systems, security camera infrastructure and associated low voltage discipline positions must possess:
- Senior level experience in: Security camera installations, Audio/Video installations, and structured cabling best practices. Knowledge of project planning for communications and electronic installations, such as Motorola analog and P25 trunked simulcast radio systems, conventional repeaters, channel banks, microwave, communications circuits including T1, 4-wire E&M and RS232.
- Senior level experience understanding and documenting designs for communications, electronic installations and modifications.
- Senior level knowledge of and experience working with and applying TCP/IP and network principles.
- Senior level experience practicing effective principles and practices of leadership.
- Senior level experience in: operation of specialized equipment such as network cabling testers, HDMI signal generators, radio service monitor, spectrum analyzer and T1 testers; demonstrating techniques to others; providing training to others; providing lead direction to staff, including assigning and reviewing work; customer service and communication skills.
- Proven record showing capability to lead multiple field support Technicians and/or a proven record showing capability to support the 800MHz public safety radio system while on call.
An Oregon Limited Energy Electrical license, LEA.
Applicants must also possess:
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or have an approved exception by date of hire.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation for required certifications may be required prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting closes: 2/13/2023
- Applications Reviewed: week of 2/13/2023
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 2/20/2023
- 1st Round of Interviews: TBD
- Job Offer: February
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Applicants must submit a professional résumé and cover letter online specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training, certification and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications and ability to meet the minimum requirements listed in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the cover letter.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis: Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veterans’ Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- Do not attach documents not requested.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a “language pay differential.” This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers "How to Apply Classes" that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/events.
Bureau of Human Resources
Terrol Johnson, Senior/Executive Recruiter
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer