Social Media & Communications Specialist
The Port of Vancouver USA is a multi-purpose port authority located in Vancouver, Wash. along the banks of the Columbia River. The port has handled a variety of bulk and break-bulk cargos since 1912.
The Port of Vancouver USA is a hub for more than 7 million tons of cargo moving from as far away as the Midwest to the Middle East, making its way on barges, rail, ships, or trucks –all converging on port docks. The bulk of cargo at the port includes wheat, minerals, autos, large project cargo, and liquids.
We are a versatile, hard-working port on a mission to create jobs and trade for the region. This is an exciting, highly visible time, requiring outreach and dialog with our community and stakeholders.
The port is also home to over 50 industrial tenants that vary from panel manufacturing to electronics recycling and small-batch beer malt distributing. We have recently added more than 50 acres of ready-to-build industrial property, and are set to grow.
Sound interesting? Read on.
We seek a professional, knowledgeable, Social Media & Communications Specialist for a regular full-time position. The essential responsibilities for the Social Media & Communications Specialist may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Actively support the port’s mission and vision and demonstrate values consistently.
- Work effectively as a team player with all port employees.
- Develop and implement a social media strategic plan as well as develop, schedule and manage content across all social platforms - Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Monitor, facilitate and initiate meaningful conversations within the social media community, address important mentions and comments in real-time, and respond to incoming messages.
- Use social platforms to magnify and share trending topics, community events and interests of partner organizations and target audiences, across all platforms.
- Serving as the port’s internal journalist, produce newsletters including researching stories, writing content and meeting deadlines. Meet regularly with internal teams to generate stories for print and digital media. Manage the distribution of those newsletters through MailChimp and other venues.
- Assist with public relations efforts, including drafting press releases, creating media lists, news release distribution and supporting media outreach.
- Serve as a backup spokesperson and share media “on-call” duties
- Measure and monitor the success of social and earned media initiatives that align with the organization’s strategic focus and provide regular updates to communication staff, including analytics and milestones.
- Prepare and distribute key news clippings to internal audiences twice a week.
- Collaborate with teammates on content creation and curation, design and editorial calendar creation.
- Provide support to the Director of Communications and Chief External Affairs Officer as needed.
- Provide back-up to the port’s brand manager for upkeep of port website to keep it current and effective.
- Provide training to staff on generating digital media content.
- Along with the External Affairs team, contribute to port photo and video needs.
- Assist with special events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with emphasis in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations or related field. Applicable experience may substitute, year-for-year, for education.
Experience: Five or more years of demonstrated experience working in social media and digital marketing, public relations and communications is required. Possesses a basic understanding of communications, media relations, and public relations concepts and methodologies and has demonstrated experience writing news releases. Has the ability to think and apply these concepts strategically. Has the ability to work independently with a high level of accuracy.
Communication Skills: College level written and verbal communication skills are required. Must be able to communicate effectively up, down and across the organization clearly and succinctly in a variety of styles to communicate effectively. Must be able to project a positive image to all port constituents. Adaptable, polished social skills for effective interactions with a wide variety of individuals and organizations. The ability to develop and deliver formal presentations in a variety of settings (i.e., one-on-one, small or large groups). Ability to write in “Associated Press” (AP) style.
Computer Skills: Advanced level skills with Windows based software, primarily MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Photoshop and advanced desktop publishing skills are required. Experience using social media including, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
If you are interested in this position, please use the following link to apply.
If you have any questions or concerns, please submit them to email@example.com
The posting will remain open until September 24, 2021.
The Port of Vancouver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Port of Vancouver complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.