Milieu Counselor - Youth Care Worker
Full Time, Full Benefits
Job Req: 1324
Do you enjoy mentoring youth? Do you find it rewarding to help others?
If so, the Milieu Counselor position may be just the right fit for you!
Morrison is seeking Milieu Counselors to mentor and teach life skills to adolescent boys. Our program is designed to help the youth, by creating a secure and therapeutic environment in which the youth, learn the necessary skills to be self-sufficient. Through our residential facility, the youth have access to education, and mental health services onsite.
The ideal candidates will demonstrate compassion, while still being professional and ethical. They will communicate effectively with the youth, in a tactful and thoughtful manner. The ability to maintain composure during stressful situations is crucial competency in this position. We see each team member as an invaluable part of each youth’s success during their stay. This is a fast-paced work environment where every day is unique and offers opportunities to be creative and work as a team.
What does a Milieu Counselor do?
Milieu Counselors help adolescent boys and girls, (11 – 17 years of age) become acquainted with American culture, language and customs. The youth primarily arrive from Latin American countries, occasionally from other countries such as South East Asia, Eastern Europe and Africa.
They are mentors and role models for youth in the program. They create a supportive environment, where youth receive help with academics, encouragement in pursing individual interest/hobbies and if needed learn techniques to address or cope with behavioral issues.
Creating a culturally inclusive environment in which the youth can feel supported. Bi-cultural and bilingual speaking applicants are encouraged to apply!
Ensures the safety of the clients we serve, both in the residential setting and during community outings. Milieu Counselors monitor by being present and alert to see and hear the youth (line of sight), to ensure the safety of all participants. Tools such as relevant training, radios, logs and conducting head counts ensure that Milieu Counselor possess the necessary skills to be able to react and respond immediately if the youth need assistance or support.
Supports the program by completing necessary documentation, completing inventories of program supplies/materials, maintaining the cleanliness and order of program property and working with the team to create fun and engaging activities such as arts and crafts projects, team building games and talent shows!
Flexible! We have morning, and swing shifts available! Four 10-hr shifts, means you get three days off! See bottom of job posting for specific hours.
$1/hr for swing shift differential! Applies to hours worked after 1:00pm *Must work at least five hours after 1:00pm time-frame to receive differential.
$1/hr for overnight shift differential! Applies to hours worked between 11:30pm-7:00am *Must work at least three hours during 11:30pm-7:00pm, time-frame to receive differential.
Education and Work Experience:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- At least 21 years of age
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Minimum of 1 year employment experience in the child welfare field working with children and/or adolescents in a social service setting
- Basic computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, databases and Outlook
- Bilingual in Spanish and English, written, read and verbal strongly preferred
- Experience working in residential program settings
- Pass a DHS criminal history background
- Meets agency driving requirements: a valid driver’s license for OR or WA and a driving record permitting coverage under corporate auto liability policy. Personal auto liability insurance ($100,000/$100,000 required), if position requires use of own vehicle for work purposes.
- Language testing, if applicable
- Milieu Counselor: $14.00-$14.89
- Bilingual (Spanish) Milieu Counselor: $15.26 – $16.23
$1/hr for swing shift differential! Applies to hours worked after 1:00pm *Must work at least five hours after 1:00pm timeframe to receive differential.
$1/hr for overnight shift differential! Applies to hours worked between 11:30pm-7:00am
Why join us?
- Benefits and Perks – Extensive benefit package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. Company provided Life and Long-Term Disability. Paid vacation and sick time. Transportation stipend for employees working at our downtown location.
- We make a difference in our community – At Morrison we provide a comprehensive continuum of mental health, substance abuse and prevention and education services for youth, from birth through age 21. We work with families and communities to make a difference in every child’s life.
Morrison Child and Family Services is a non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive array of services to children, adolescents, and their families. As an agency Morrison, its team members, and clients commit to the following values of trauma-informed care:
- Nonviolence - being safe and doing the right thing
- Emotional Intelligence - managing our feelings so we don’t hurt ourselves or others
- Social Learning - respecting and sharing ideas of our teams
- Democracy - shared decision making whenever possible
- Open Communication - saying what we mean and not being mean when we say it
- Social Responsibility - everyone makes a contribution to the organizational culture
- Growth and Change - creating hope for our clients and ourselves
- Equity - Assuring all can survive and thrive
Visit our website to learn more about our mission and history and our strategy for accomplishing our goal of achieving significant, positive, and long-term clinical outcomes for the clients we serve.
At Morrison we celebrate diversity. Through our commitment to equity and inclusion, we support our communities to move beyond disparity and oppression and work with compassion, integrity, and dedication to social justice through the implementation of goals and policies. We strive to create an inclusive and anti-racist organization by ensuring that racial identity will not determine or predict the quality of trauma-informed care a child receives; to that effect, we’re looking for candidates who can provide culturally-appropriate care or possess the ability to hold each other and yourself accountable to the diversity and uniqueness of all individuals within Morrison, our clients and our community stakeholders.
External Candidate Process: Click here to apply
*** If viewing job through a job board without enabled links please visit: www.morrisonkids.org/careers
Internal Candidate Process: Current Morrison employees, please visit our Internal Career Center by logging in Workforce Now ADP and following this path: Myself > Talent > Career Center
Not the right fit, or not yet ready to apply?
Join our Talent Community! We will keep you updated on positions that fit your skill set and interest!
To be considered for this position you must follow this application procedure.
Position Open Until Enough Qualified Applicants Have Responded
We strive to Create a Diverse, Inclusive environment to Better Serve our Clients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Internal Tracking: ADP 4/2 10am LC
Full-Time, Part-Time, and On-Call/Relief Positions Available!
4 - 10 hours shifts (3 days off) per week
Morning Shift Hours are from 7am-5:30pm
Swing Shift Hours are from 1pm - 11:30pm
Overnight Shift Hours are from 9:30pm - 8am