Position: Assistant Construction Superintendent
Reports to: Construction Site Superintendent
Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
Compensation: $19.45/hour to $24.32/hour; See Starting Salary Expectations section below.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region revitalizes neighborhoods, builds affordable and sustainable homes, and empowers families through successful homeownership. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global home building movement and top private home builder in the country. By providing affordable housing, home repairs, skilled construction training, financial education, and volunteer opportunities, the organization has transformed millions of lives, helped stabilize communities and fostered economic vitality in the region. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to reach their full potential, and that starts with a stable and healthy place to call home.
We are intentional about building a healthy and thriving organizational culture and envision a community of staff, partners, volunteers, and donors who are deeply committed to equitable and anti-racist practices in every facet of our organization. We engage in continual learning and seek ways to operationalize equitable practices. Our Equity Statement and Cultural Compact are living, breathing documents that we continually work toward.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region operates out of two offices (Hillsboro and NE Portland), four brick and mortar stores (Beaverton, Gresham, Portland, and Vancouver), one warehouse (NE Portland), and a number of construction sites (varies). Please visit our website and social media pages to learn more.
Note to Candidates:
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications as described.
The Assistant Construction Superintendent is responsible for supporting the organization’s home building goals. The individual in this position leads future homebuyers and volunteers in performing in-house construction activities, including site preparation, foundation systems, rough framing, window and door installation, weatherproofing, siding, painting, flooring installation, millwork installation, interior painting, and landscaping. This position will interact with Habitat staff, volunteers, homebuyers, subcontractors, Habitat partners and City inspectors.
Volunteers and Partner Homeowners
- Lead Habitat Crew Leads and crews of volunteers in building homes
- Ensure appropriate safety practices at all times
- Teach needed skills to new volunteers
- Conduct regular quality control inspections
- Assist in the training of Crew Leads and volunteers
- Understand elements that contribute to successful volunteers and help ensure that volunteers have a consistently positive, encouraging environment, motivating them to return
- Ensure that communication to volunteers and partner homeowners is respectful, accurate, and timely
- Assist in identifying volunteer jobs/needs not currently filled and satisfy needs with appropriate volunteers
- Perform all hands-on construction tasks as directed
- Repair/redo any construction task performed below acceptable standards by volunteers
- Suggest potential advantageous building practices and material cost savings opportunities to management as identified
- Assist in the supervision of all site preparation and layout
- Assist in the supervision of job sites on each designated workday and work to ensure construction is accomplished in accordance with approved permits and plans; assist in ensuring that proper plan details and codes are followed
- Assist in ensuring that Site safety inspections, Daily Log, Observations, Incidents, Quality and Safety Inspections are updated daily in Procore
- Assist in training volunteers and partner homeowners about construction tasks and appropriate safety measures
- Respond to homeowner warranty complaints and perform repairs
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is committed to the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, and the broader community. Starting January 4, 2022, all employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, or will be required to undergo weekly Covid-19 testing as a condition of employment. Medical and/or religious accommodations may apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Ability to effectively work with, manage, and lead volunteers
- Excel at multi-tasking various projects and deadlines; attention to detail a must
- Excellent oral communication skills; effective with diverse audiences
- 2+ years experience in the construction/contracting business, especially as a carpenter or framer
- Valid drivers’ license and reliable transportation
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Any qualifying combination of education, certification, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Accustomed to working with digital tools that streamline efficiency or have the willingness to learn and implement this new skillset
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Job is located at the assigned construction site
- Position is very active and requires climbing ladders as well as considerable standing, bending, kneeling, and reaching in awkward and tiring positions during varying weather conditions
- Employee must frequently lift, move, and/or load items over 50 pounds
- Tue-Sat, 7:30am - 3:30pm, occasional events outside the normal work week
Starting Salary Expectations:
Minimum $19.45/hour to wage range midpoint of $24.32/hour. Placement will generally not exceed the midpoint based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. The full wage range is $19.45/hour to $29.18/hour.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Health insurance (medical, vision, alternative care, prescription)
- Health reimbursement arrangement (HRA)
- Dental insurance
- Generous paid time off
- 3% matching 403(b) retirement plan
- Flexible spending accounts
- Short-term & long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee assistance program
How to Apply:
Submit the following materials at: https://tinyurl.com/habpdxjobs
- Cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position.
- Three professional references
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.