ANNOUNCEMENT AMERICORPS TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT SPECIALISTClick here for Detailed Job Description.
FULL-TIME STIPENDED VOLUNTEER POSITION POSITION TO START FALL 2022
Portland YouthBuilders (PYB) is an alternative high school and job training program dedicated to serving young adults, ages 17-24, who want to transform their lives. PYB’s multi-year program focuses on assisting students to complete high school with a GED or Diploma, obtain job readiness skills, become critical thinkers and community leaders, complete their post-secondary education/training goals, and successfully launch their careers. Our program offers multi-year support to help students achieve their long and short term goals in employment and post- secondary education and training. PYB‘s community partnerships support these goals and enable students to access resources. In addition, these partnerships strengthen placement options for our students. This position is a good opportunity for those considering going into the field of Education, particularly alternative education, and the person taking this role will receive mentorship from experienced teachers. The person in the position will also have the opportunity to learn how to proctor testing and coordinate volunteer tutors.
Our student population is diverse, and many students face barriers which interfere with their success both at PYB and in their hopes for the future. PYB offers support to help students resolve, manage, and overcome these obstacles.
PYB is deeply committed to continuously working to make our organization a more equitable and just place for both students and staff. As it is written in our equity statement: At PYB, we believe that communities are strengthened when diversity is honored. We believe we have a responsibility to interrupt and confront inequity. At PYB, we commit to continuously reflect and challenge the ways in which we, as a community, and as individuals, perpetuate inequity. It is not only vital to our students’ success but essential to our purpose.
The ideal candidate will be committed to our mission and equity statement, and will be inspired by working with young people from diverse backgrounds as they transform their lives through learning and service.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position as an AmeriCorps member of Portland YouthBuilders (PYB). The Technology Support Specialist AmeriCorps position is responsible for helping to build and guide a team of youth to use basic technology skills to creatively solve problems, to refurbish and troubleshoot computer hardware and software, provide support to technology in the community, as well as support Technology Instructor in teaching students basic Tech skills. The Technology Support Specialist is not staff role, and thus does not provide supervision to YouthBuild AmeriCorps members. Instead, the AmeriCorps member provides an additional layer of leadership and support. Additionally, they assist by providing information and resources on best practices and/or by helping to develop the technology portion of the YouthBuild program.
The Technology Support Specialist will also provide support, guidance and encouragement in the development of youth leadership and personal and professional development.
• Build and maintain positive relationships with all students
• Teach basic technology skills and support Technology Trainer in teaching duties
• Participate in community service projects providing Tech education and IT support in the community, such as the Elder Teaching Initiative
• Assist in personal and vocational education and development of trainees leadership skills in conjunction with PYB staff
• Teach basic makerspace skills, including use of 2-D cutters and 3-D printers
• Attend all meetings and retreats as required
• Serve as public ambassador for the program, YouthBuild USA, and AmeriCorps.
• Participate in Portland YouthBuilders, YouthBuild USA, and AmeriCorps training, service projects, and other activities, such as Community Meetings.
• Assist with the planning and/or implementation of a project on a designated national day of service such as September 11th National Day of Service & Remembrance, Veterans Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; Global Youth Service Day and AmeriCorps Week as well as other PYB-specific service days
• Promote service learning within the classroom
This position has recurring access to vulnerable populations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR AMERICORPS SERVICE
Must be at least 17 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED, and be a US Citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident of the US. Must adhere to the policies related to the Drug free Workplace Act.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Skilled at taking initiative, problem solving, and working independently to develop and implement technology program initiatives.
• Skilled at building interpersonal relationships, to work/serve effectively as part of a team, and to manage volunteers
• Strong verbal skills, to communicate effectively with staff, students, volunteers and community groups.
• Skilled at written communication, to develop program teaching materials and assist in the review and evaluation of student work
• Dependable and able to maintain positive attitude, to fulfill commitment to term of service.
• Committed to the concept of national service and to making a difference in the community.
• Strong computer literacy and ability to pick up new skills quickly.
• Able to react to change productively.
The Technology Support Specialist AmeriCorps member reports to Allison Callahan, Counseling and Career Services Manager.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Position Starts: Fall 2022 Length of position: 12 months (must complete 1700 hours of service over 12 months) Compensation: AmeriCorps monthly living stipend of $2,083; monthly bus pass; plus AmeriCorps
Education Award of $6,495 upon completion of 1700 hours of service; qualified to enroll in medical coverage available through AmeriCorps. Members may also qualify for child care allowance. Other benefits include student loan deferment, professional training, valuable networking opportunities, working with a dedicated team of AmeriCorps members and staff, and the opportunity to make a real difference.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to Mary Hou, Contracts Manager, email@example.com. Please include “Application for AmeriCorps Technology Support Specialist” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. The preferred start date for the position is in Summer 2022, and applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Portland YouthBuilders’ mission connects us to people and communities across Portland. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law. Portland YouthBuilders is committed to the diversity of our people, programs and services. The organization acts affirmatively in the employment and advancement of qualified people of color. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY1-800-735-2900.
PYB employees and full-time volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background and drug test check prior to employment. Portland YouthBuilders is a Drug Free Workplace and adheres to the requirements of the Drug Free Workplace Act. Portland YouthBuilders’ students and staff are subject to random drug tests.
o This program is funded 25% through a Federal award of $1.5 million from the U.S. Department of Labor – ETA for the YouthBuild Program Initiative.
o This program financed in part with funds provided through Worksystems, Inc. from the U.S. Department of Labor, the City of Portland, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
o PYB is an AmeriCorps program and students who are AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award.