Portland Farmers Market Position Description
Job title: Communications & Marketing Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Full-time, exempt
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, 401(k) match, paid time off
Hours/days: Full-time, some weekends and evenings
Pay rate: $49,000 – $53,000 annually, DOE
Portland Farmers Market (PFM) is a 501(c)6 nonprofit organization operating five outstanding farmers' markets in Portland, Oregon. Our markets contribute to the success of hundreds of local food growers and producers, provide access to farm-fresh food for local residents, and create vibrant community gatherings.
PFM people unabashedly promote the cultural riches of local food, support farmers and food artisans, and help build thriving communities. If you share our passion for bringing people together around farmers markets, let us know – we're eager to meet you.
In operation since 1992, PFM has developed a recognizable brand and earned a reputation for quality products and effective management. We have a year-round team of 9 to 11 full-time and part-time professionals, and we grow to about 16 staff in peak market season, from late spring through autumn.
The ultimate goals of PFM’s marketing program are to attract and retain shoppers in order for farmers and food artisans to find economic success at our markets, and for our shoppers and the broader community to understand the benefits of supporting local food producers.
Working with the Executive Director, board, PR agency and other advisors, the Communications and Marketing Manager develops key messages and storytelling into strategic communications that advance PFM’s mission and values. Starting with the big picture, this manager learns the character of each farmers market and applies this knowledge to attract shoppers. They use creativity, humor and intellect to implement marketing, advertising and communications activities. In coordination with co-workers, they develop and execute campaigns, create content, update the website and oversee text messaging and analytics for all owned, earned, shared and paid media.
This position works primarily from the PFM office, with the opportunity to work up to 50% remotely during the pandemic, if desired. PFM will require all staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 starting in December, 2021.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing plan for each market and the organization overall that meets PFM’s strategic plan goals, includes key messages, audiences and methods of delivery
- Develop an annual marketing budget and monitor expenses
- Collect and leverage data from shopper surveys, market staff experience, analytics and other sources to inform marketing and communications plans and key messages, and to set and measure marketing goals
- Work closely with fellow staff members to ensure that community outreach strategies, signage and print materials are consistent extensions of marketing plans and brand
- Purchase culturally appropriate advertising for markets and messages
- Advise PFM staff on selection of merchandise, types and placement of signage and other marketing tools to ensure brand and message consistency
- Ensure consistent use of all aspects of the PFM brand and usage guidelines
- Build and maintain ongoing relationships for promotional purposes with partners
- Maintain PFM’s factsheet of shopper and economic data, key messages, market summaries and story leads
- Write, edit and publish stories using various writing styles to convey detailed information, to persuade and educate on key issues and to showcase the beneficial impact of PFM’s work on vendors, shoppers and community members.
- Assemble, lead and delegate to a team of communications experts, contracted PR agency, volunteers and co-workers who meet regularly to define and implement plans
- Leverage media and broadcast opportunities in coordination with PR agency
- Act as spokesperson for PFM when Executive Director is not available, conduct occasional presentations, speaking and live media engagements
- Coordinate with contract graphic designer for production of advertisement, print materials, signage and more
- Take photographs, conduct interviews and visit vendor farms or businesses as needed to develop stories
- Promote at-market programs and events produced by PFM through public event calendars, blog, website, social media and other methods as determined effective
- Maintain image and photography archives, monitor usage and acquire updated photos as needed
- For all communications, ensure translation into appropriate languages, placement of pieces in culturally appropriate channels and develop ongoing plans to ensure vendors and shoppers have access to information and stories in several languages
- Manage communication plans, images and content schedule for digital media platforms:
- Website: Ensure regular content updates and maintenance; Coordinate with consultant web designers for maintenance and major upgrades or changes, when applicable
- Blog: Coordinate editorial content and photos to highlight seasonal products and market vendors then upload to website
- Social platforms: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter; plan and schedule regular posts, ensure daily monitoring, purchase boosts and engage with audiences
- Produce and regularly distribute email newsletters, campaigns and reminder text messages
- Analyze data from multiple digital sources to identify trends and new opportunities while deriving demographic information about follower behavior and needs
- Monitor social media posts of PFM vendors, other farmers markets, food and farm organizations and other industry leaders to stay current on trends and influence the movement
Sponsor Relations and Special Events
- In coordination with Executive Director, develop and implement annual sponsor cultivation plan to raise funds and community support
- Manage and serve as liaison for sponsors including contract fulfillment, event coordination and annual reports
- Lead or participate in coordination of occasional special events or activities such as: anniversary events, branding development, new market openings, and promotional events
- Provide training, guidance and oversight to PFM staff who may assist with marketing and communications activities
- Participate in organization-wide trainings and planning processes, including DEI (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) trainings and Strategic Planning
- Strive to center and advance PFM’s equity philosophy and DEI goals in marketing and communications plans, strategies, and methods
- Participate in regular all-staff meetings and supervisor check-ins
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely than others to apply for a position unless they feel they meet every qualification as described. We are committed to finding the best overall candidate, and understand that candidate may not immediately identify with every qualification listed. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role.
- Three years of experience in the coordinated management of marketing, social media, promotions and public relations
- Two years of experience with project development, planning and budgeting related to communications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training in communications, marketing, journalism or related field, or three additional years of relevant experience
- Two years of experience creating and managing social media campaigns including copy writing and content creation for various platforms
- Experience managing traditional and digital media advertising
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, basic photo and video editing, email marketing software, and Google Analytics
- An eye for clean design of digital newsletters and websites, flexibility to adapt and learn as digital tools evolve
- Ability to produce outstanding written and verbal communications that persuade and inform
- Excellent grammar, spelling and attention to detail in digital and print forms
- Commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion
- Strong networking and relationship-building skills
- Comfort with and ability to set priorities while managing a variety of projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, set appropriate work priorities, and require minimal supervision over regular work activities
- Sound judgment, decision making and problem-solving skills
- Event and project management experience
- Passion for the mission, vision and values of Portland Farmers Market
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Professional or personal experience advancing diversity, equity & inclusion
- Familiarity with local food and/or agriculture sectors
- Experience and/or connections with media outlets or other communications- related organizations in our region
- Comfortable and articulate public speaker
- Experience coordinating sponsorship programs and/or cultivating sponsor relationships
Visit our website for the full job description: https://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/about-us/careers
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single pdf document to email@example.com. Applications received by Thursday, December 2nd, 2021 will be given priority consideration.
Please put CMM2021 (for Communications & Marketing Manager) and your last name in the subject line. This position is open until filled.
We Welcome Diversity
Portland Farmers Market is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all qualified individuals in accordance with the law without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, political opinion, sex, national origin, familial status, mental and physical disability, gender identity, source of income, disability or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law in all personnel actions including recruitment, evaluation, selection, promotion, compensation, training, and termination. We will provide reasonable accommodation unless it creates an undue hardship on the operation of our organization. Any applicant needing reasonable accommodation should notify us as soon as possible.
We believe that when our staff represents a diversity of perspectives and life experiences, we can be most responsive to the needs of our vendors and shoppers, and better reflect the communities where our markets call home.